iTunes Store Country

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nstick13, Dec 3, 2011.

1. nstick13 macrumors newbie

I'm an American living in Korea with an iPhone 4. I got my iPhone back in March, and since have used the US iTunes store on both my laptop (used for the entire 2 years I've been out of the US) and my iPhone.

Two days ago, I was trying to buy a gift for my father from the iTunes store (something I hadn't done in those two years). It did not work, and instructed me to contact iTunes support. I did.

Their response was that because I live in S. Korea, I am forbidden from using the US store, and my iTunes count was disabled until I switched to the Korean store. This is ridiculous for many reasons, not the least of which is I know that there are literally thousands of non-Koreans here using non-Korean iTunes stores. The only reason I was being punished is because I contacted customer support.

Do note I am American, have an American CC and billing address (my permanent address) associated with my card, and my dad is American and lives in America.

I told Apple I needed access to the US Store because I'm working with a Korean company that develops iPhone apps, and that I would be back in the US within 3 months. They still said no.

So, I went to switch to the Korean store, thinking maybe I could VPN my way into switching back to the US one, but stopped the Korean process when the entire Terms of Service was in Korean. Now, admittedly I don't read those in English usually, but I could if necessary. Korean? No way. I know enough to have pizza delivered, and that's about it. Does Apple really expect that?

I guess I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed (if anyone has any) and hoping to spread the word to NOT CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT if you live/are abroad. Not to mention it's one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. Hey, can you help? It said to contact you. Yeah, we can, you're screwed.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, why not just accept and VPN in like you planned?

3. nstick13 thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad--left a bit out.

I don't have a Korean CC to complete the set-up.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. nstick13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the VPN thing, didn't work because my account is set to "disabled" in the US.

And I'm on hold on the phone.

I've had about 15 e-mails with iTunes support. It takes way too long.