iTunes Store Customer Service Experience...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bugly, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bugly macrumors newbie

I just went through an "interesting" (as in "may you live in interesting times") situation with the iTunes Store.

I have been buying music from the iTunes Store for a long time and as they have been upgrading their library to the 256K/DRM Free music files it has made upgrading existing music to the DRM free version interesting. Needless to say by hitting the wrong button I ended up with a $270 charge to my credit card for 970 songs most of which I didn't want while trying to figure out how to upgrade individual albums. I did not download any of them and immediately called Apple to get it taken care of. Apple Care was able to get the iTunes Store to credit my card with $164 of the total charge but the last $98.99 proved to be impossible to get a refund for.

Here is what I have found out about the iTunes Store... First, even though they are part of Apple they are not held to the same customer service standard as the rest of the company and none of them (iTunes Store folks) know how spell customer service let alone provide customer service. Second, even though they maybe Apple employees (I presume), they are basically run by the record labels who provide the content.

I finally escalated my issue to Apple Customer Relations and, after IM'ing with iTunes Store folks they (Customer Relations) finally offered me an alternative option to resolve the issue since it had become apparent to them (Customer Relations) that they were being stonewalled by the iTunes Store as well.

My first lesson learned on this is that iTunes will be the final place I go to when looking for downloadable music. There are several other services that have a pretty good content library that I will look at first. My second lesson learned on this is that if Apple Care does not support it directly then buyer beware!!

Thanks for listening and be very careful when dealing with the iTunes Store.
    :(

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That really stinks! Thats the thing about the iTunes one click thing. Also its the same way with Amazon and may other online stores.

You should make sure that the window comes up in iTunes that makes sure you really want to purchase before it charges to your account (like the attached picture). If I were you, I would never select the button that says not to show that window again.

Attached Files:

3. bugly thread starter macrumors newbie

Your absolutely correct. Immediately after that I enabled the shopping cart so that would not happen again. It was interesting to me that Apple Customer Relations was not even able to resolve the issue except in an indirect manner. The iTunes Store is truly an island to itself within Apple.