Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I gave it a negative.

Money donated through The Red Cross doesn't go directly to disaster relief efforts. Most money donated there goes to helping them get out of their $200million+ debt. Donate through Mercy Corps or Oxfam or some other organization. Not the Red Cross. They're scammers.

And you are a member of the John Birch Society, right?

dausoner

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
So does this mean that Apple gets to write-off all those donations made through the iTunes store? Genius.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I gave it a negative.

Money donated through The Red Cross doesn't go directly to disaster relief efforts. Most money donated there goes to helping them get out of their $200million+ debt. Donate through Mercy Corps or Oxfam or some other organization. Not the Red Cross. They're scammers.

I definitely believe you on this. Do you have any proof of them being scammers?

Cause the news and everybody involved has been promoting these "scammers" :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So does this mean that Apple gets to write-off all those donations made through the iTunes store? Genius.

I guess I'm just stupid, but I don't see what's genius about them doing that.

Let's say they bring in $1 million with this. They give it to the Red Cross. They then write-off the $1 million, thus meaning they don't have to pay taxes on it.

So they are basically even and they neither make nor lose money on the whole thing.

So what's the brilliant plan there...?

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California

Wow, why would you think that?

I'm not an accountant but either they recognize the revenue and take the deduction, or just pass it right through. Either way, it's a wash.

C

champ01

" If Jesus himself came down and change the waters into red wine. Half of MacRumors would say .. RED!!? I wanted White wine "

guess what... Jesus was never born.

Its just as much fake believe as people spending money on charity believing their money turns into something that will help the poor people

All religion are BS al this is BS, wake the .... up people!

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA

This may not be the case wholeheartedly, Apple is simply doing their part in the relief by allowing its user to use iTunes to donate instead of the hectic process of the red cross.

Apple will continue to help wherever they can to make the relief effort better. Even though we know the real effort is being made on the ground and the millions of selfless volunteers that are sacrificing themselves to help those who need help the most.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I can't believe this article has Negatives ... Arn, you should be able to disable certain articles from being voted on ... The people who are putting negatives obviously haven't pointed out one .... Someone had a signature that read " If Jesus himself came down and change the waters into red wine. Half of MacRumors would say .. RED!!? I wanted White wine "

I can never understand why anyone cares how others rate an thread. If you didn't mention it, 4 people would notice and only 1 would really care. :rolleyes:

Genius logic. :rolleyes:

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
This story has negatives. Really? Wow.

Yup. Not a negative against iTunes, but a negative against anyone too lazy to contact the Red Cross (or other relief organization of your choice) and give directly. 10s of thousand of people have died, 100s of thousands homeless and surrounded by dead bodies, and you can't pull out your credit card and supply 16 digits? Yeesh.

Plus, while I trust iTunes for now, theoretically, how do I really know the money is going to the Red Cross?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
My donations will be driven to an awaiting DC-3 plane on Saturday or Sunday and flown out of South Florida to Haiti.

If you are inclined to want to seek out a group that might be gathering items in your area (in the states), Civil Air Patrol is collecting various items to ship out. I'm not sure how much it extends out of FL - but the group they are supporting could use fuel money to get the stuff there.

Red Cross issues aside, I will say they were here pretty darn quick when my neighborhood was struck by a Tornado. But i'd much rather be making the type of donation we will be doing because it will go right to the people that need it.

C

champ01

Please tell me your being sarcastic. If not you get the award for Stupidest post of the month.

In what?

Give me one fact to back your story up.

I can give 100.000 reasons why their is so much war en terror in this world and why parts of this world are still f...ed up.

Isn't America always taking control on everything, and is everything always going from bad to worse? ;)

So ones again, do you really think supporting with cash will help these poor people?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
In what?

Give me one fact to back your story up.

I can give 100.000 reasons why their is so much war en terror in this world and why parts of this world are still f...ed up.

Isn't America always taking control on everything, and is everything always going from bad to worse? ;)

So ones again, do you really think supporting with cash will help these poor people?

As much as I hate to admit it, America doesn't have the best track record in world affairs. While we may seem to be doing "the right thing", more often than not the motivations are politically and financially based. Read "Broken Government" by ex-Nixon legal aid and now democrat/independent John W. Dean. It's a very objective and fact based examination of American politics and the race for natural resources. Dean discusses US foreign policy with regards to driving conflict in the Middle East through covert ops in order to secure resources, pitting countries against one another with the intention of reaping the benefits. Everything from oil to Brazilian sugar to the cold war, America consumes 25% of the worlds natural resources and as such has created a dire need to secure America's global interests.

However, Apple is doing a great service. By allowing consumers to easily donate through the iTunes store will help independent causes in their efforts to save lives in Haiti. It can't be any easier than a click of the mouse button. Post this on your Facebook account, assuming you have one, send out emails to your friends and family. The more exposure this gets the more lives will benefit.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
So what. I'm not going to be sympathetic about this cuz we have enough stuff to worry about, on our turf....like let's see...WAR! recession! This isn't the first earthquak on the planet. Much worse has hit on our soil many of times, especially being in LA.....did we get any relief support from Haiti? Didn't think so......I'm really not going to count on Haiti for when the future quakes hit either.

Let them figure it out

also, it must be a real kick in the nuts for those Americans on the street holding up a sign asking for $1, but when a quake hits in a country they'll never go to has problems a lot of people jump at the chance to give $10 or more.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Why go through iTunes? Just go to RedCross directly.

Why not have as many avenues available as possible? Why not capture those people who may frequently use the iTunes store but never visit the Red Cross web site?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
So what. I'm not going to be sympathetic about this cuz we have enough stuff to worry about, on our turf....like let's see...WAR! recession! This isn't the first earthquak on the planet. Much worse has hit on our soil many of times, especially being in LA.....did we get any relief support from Haiti? Didn't think so......I'm really not going to count on Haiti for when the future quakes hit either.

Let them figure it out

You can't be serious...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
guess what... Jesus was never born.

Its just as much fake believe as people spending money on charity believing their money turns into something that will help the poor people

All religion are BS al this is BS, wake the .... up people!
Guess what? There is a difference between saying that you don't believe in the divinity of a dude called Jesus born around two thousand years ago and saying that you don't believe in the historicity of there being a guy by that name from that time period executed by the Romans. The former is something that you have to decide for yourself but saying the latter makes you sound as loony as those "moon landing" deniers because there is considerable archeological evidence to back up the historical figure.

I'm not interested in having a debate with you or anyone else on that matter but your post makes you look like an uneducated fool who believes what crackpots on the internet say.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005

Let them figure it out

Really? 50,000 people have been killed in an earthquake in L.A.? I must have missed that on the news.

Also, Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and the U.S. is the richest. Charity is about helping those less fortunate when they have need, not the other way around. The U.S. has the resources and administrative structures to deal (as well as possible) with natural disasters, Haiti does not.

Really, really selfish. How do you look in the mirror?

C

champ01

As much as I hate to admit it, America doesn't have the best track record in world affairs. While we may seem to be doing "the right thing", more often than not the motivations are politically and financially based. Read "Broken Government" by ex-Nixon legal aid and now democrat/independent John W. Dean. It's a very objective and fact based examination of American politics and the race for natural resources. Dean discusses US foreign policy with regards to driving conflict in the Middle East through covert ops in order to secure resources, pitting countries against one another with the intention of reaping the benefits. Everything from oil to Brazilian sugar to the cold war, America consumes 25% of the worlds natural resources and as such has created a dire need to secure America's global interests.

However, Apple is doing a great service. By allowing consumers to easily donate through the iTunes store will help independent causes in their efforts to save lives in Haiti. It can't be any easier than a click of the mouse button. Post this on your Facebook account, assuming you have one, send out emails to your friends and family. The more exposure this gets the more lives will benefit.

People in the Netherlands gave millions of euro's (we are a country of 16million people) when the big sonamy hit, only to find out that the money went into the wrong pockets.
Those poor people got nothing and still don't have anything.

I wish I was wrong, I really do.

And I'm not saying we are a great country, we are one of the largest countries that ship weapons all around the world.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
I gave it a negative.

If the do-gooders wished to really help Haiti, they would give money to family planning initiatives in Haiti. That's a long term solution that would benefit all future generations of Haiti.

The devastation seen is due to the fact that the building standards are so low in Haiti[1]. The reason for low building standards are extreme poverty. The reason for extreme poverty is over-population and corruption. Fix those things, and the rest will follow.

Pay money to the relief organisation now, and you will help out in the short term. It will not fix the root of the problem, although it might give you a warm fuzzy feeling, that you're "doing something". Look how far emergency relief has gotten Africa.

Apple seems to get a lot of good PR due to their initiative. That's fine, but it doesn't help the Haitian children of tomorrow.

Oh, and finally: To the religious people following this, can you please explain why a benevolent deity would create such an earthquake? Is it just to test your faith, like the friendly God did with Job?

[1] http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.construction/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.