iTunes store in Indiana not charging sales tax

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aethelbert, Apr 1, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

So I was going through on my iPhone getting some music from the Wifi store, and I watched my store credit go down just $.99 with each song. I then tried getting some music on my mac and it did the same thing. Yesterday, I got charged $1.05 for each song, but not today. This probably has something to do with the fact that IN sales tax changed from 6 to 7% today. Has anyone else in Indiana experienced this?

2. JAT macrumors 603

Well, I'm in MN, so not the same. But I recently bought 2 songs (first ever, no comparisons) and wasn't charged tax. I thought it strange, I get charged tax when I buy from the B&M stores here or from store.apple.com, as I would expect.

But hey, I saved 12 cents. Maybe in another decade I'll have saved enough at iTMS to buy a stick of gum if this keeps up. (I tend towards better quality, not lesser, iTMS holds little interest)

Practically, this will bite Apple if it is a frequent occurrence. They probably have to file quarterly (or more often if they sell a lot, depends on the state) sales tax returns based on gross sales. You'd think it would come up when someone looks at financial info and they'd go out of their way to prevent it.