iTunes Store link in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wunderbaren, Sep 23, 2007.

1. wunderbaren macrumors member

2. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that they're waiting until the 25th, when they begin shipping the 16GB iPhone which already has Software 1.1.1 on it.

3. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

What ?! There is a 16 GB iPhone coming? When was this announced and why isn't it on the Apple Website?

4. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

Steve has stated at the Uk conference that they will ony be releasing the 8gig.

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

It was probably just a typo, meant iPod touch. The iPhone should be 16GB though. :eek:

6. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Are you sure he said only the 8Gb?
    what was the exact quote- or as close to it as you remember?

7. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

spoken from the man himself. all they see fit at the moment it the 8gig. only one they are planning to release at this time. Word for word.:apple:

8. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I'm not certain that they'll release a 16GB iPhone on the 25th, but I think there's a pretty good chance that they will. All the evidence points to it.

9. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

seems like the natural progression, however they will release nothing different in hardware then they did in their home market! next year forsure.

10. timmypv15 macrumors regular

11. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

What same thing?

12. timmypv15 macrumors regular

13. sanford macrumors 65816

That's been like that for like 10 days, as someone noted.

There is no 16GB iPhone, today or the 25th. Or Nov. 9th. They'll go through Christmas stateside and abroad with same hardware, same specs. Also, iPod touch 16GB has already shipped in smaller quantities compared to 8GB, at least to Apple Stores; they have just quickly sold out what they get.

And finally, I think you're right about the 25th, but only because iPhone updates, all of two of them but still, have always been released on Tuesday afternoon, and this Tuesday afternoon is the last Tuesday afternoon that will still jibe with Jobs's statement at 5th Sept. iPod event about the WiFi Store for iPhone , which was "later this month".

No matter all the rampant speculation about the "delay", which I myself helped fuel, I am now convinced it's always been scheduled for 25th Sept. It actually make sense to give about 10 days run from iPod touch hitting stores, being sold and being used on WiFi Store, as shakedown cruise, before you drop potentially a million iPhone users on the WiFi Store all in a 24 - 48 hour period. I blow off software updates on my Mac, sometimes for a couple weeks. But iPhone is so new, few people will blow of an update; they'll install it, making them potential immediate WiFi Store browsers and/or buyers.

14. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

There's no harm in keeping all the same hardware and software except for the capacity. Just keep everything the same and add a 16GB option. They'd lose alot of sales if they didn't do it. I'm pretty confident that they will.

15. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

If I order an iPhone online today, and Apple is updating firmware effective Tues (most people feel that is the date 1.1.1 is out), what are the chances I will get an old firmware device?

I hope it IS old... i need to hack it and I fear 1.1.1 is going to be a sad day for iPhoners eveywhere.

16. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Why will the new firmware prevent hacks? Jailbreak can go up to 1.0.2

17. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Here is a quote from someone involved in hacking the iPod Touch... see the last line. Many many people think that iPod Touch is far far more difficult to hack than iPhone, and the iPod touch firmware is coming to iPhone in the next firmware release.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/20/ipod-touch-state-of-the-jailbreak/

"The iPod touch jailbreak attempts continue but there's little progress and less to report. Martyn, one of the hackers, has disassembled his touch and has attempted to read the chips directly. This hasn't been a huge success. I have been using iPhuc's grestore mode and my digital camera's video to try to see if we can learn more about the vocabulary the touch uses to communicate with iTunes. You can view my extremely blurry pictures in the attached gallery.

Does the touch indicates the future of the iPhone? The news looks bleaker by the day."

18. sanford macrumors 65816

Weird, isn't it? The one it doesn't matter show much if it gets hacked is the one they use as the proving ground for hack-proofing the touch devices (iPod and iPhone).

Anyway, this depends. It is entirely possible that Apple will not put the new firmware on shipping iPods, even new ones not old stock, at all for some time, just having users update when they activate. My wife's iPhone was bought quite recently and still had firmware 1.0, that we upgraded to 1.0.2.

So you know, you pays your money you takes your chances.