itunes store music with ableton live

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ashjamben, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

does anyone know if music bought with itunes can be used with ableton live 7 and warped?

thanks

2. CalumC macrumors regular

As far as i can see, no. See attached pic, but basically it isn't recognising the audio file inside its folder. I downloaded the track 'What Up Man' by The Cool Kids, album The Bake Sale, but within the folder 'The Bake Sale' there is no audio file 'What Up Man' as there would be normally.

Long winded way of saying no.

EDIT: It might be worth testing a non DRM track, I don't think that i've got any so i can't test it. .m4p definitely doesn't work.

Attached Files:

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you burn the track to an audio CD then you have an audio CD and can do anything you like. (Well within the limits of fail use that is.)

iTunes will allow you to burn any playlist to a CD. You can choose in preferences if the CD is mp3 or audio format.

4. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the info.

just need to confirm something, itunes used to sell everything at 128kbps in aac, with itunes plus which i believe used to 256kbps in aac with no drm. now that all music on itunes is no drm, and 256 which should be ok to dj with, will that work?

i havn't used itunes in the past much, just for the occasional song, but hopin to start djing soon with ableton live and would need a some single songs i can't/don't want to buy a whole album for.

also, all the songs i've imported at the moment in itunes in aac don't have drm on them, do they? and will all work with ableton?

thanks

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

iTunes Plus songs are 256k AAC with no DRM. I've not used Ableton but if it can handle regular AAC tracks then it can handle AAC iTunes plus songs too.

I was in a similar position with DJ Traktor. I couldn't play iTunes store songs in it, which sucked. But now the tracks have been upgraded (at small cost) to iTunes plus tracks, Traktor plays them with no problem at all.

So, check and see if iTunes will let you upgrade your older 128k tracks. It doesn't cost much, and most, if not all the tracks should be available in plus form now.

6. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Any non-drm aac file from itunes will work fine in Ableton, but if you're taking your mixes seriously then you should try and get something better than 256 for sure.