iTunes store no longer works with iTunes 8.2.1?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eric S., Nov 26, 2010.

1. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Searched but couldn't find an answer. Does the iTunes store no longer work with iTunes 8.2.1? All I get is "store is not up, try again later."

I upgraded my Macbook to 10.1 and the store is available. But I like the 8.2.1 interface better, and would rather keep my desktop running that version (although I realize Apple will force me to upgrade at some point, no matter what I want).

2. wpotere Guest

3. Eric S. thread starter macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Maybe. But I'd like to know if Apple states that somewhere. The only support page that I can find that talks about it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2729

says "You need iTunes 8.2.1 or later to access iTunes Store."

4. wpotere Guest

Doubt it. As with any program the controls used at the store are much more complex than they were during version 8 with a lot of new features added. So, it is only obvious that older versions would stop working. Sorry, but it looks like you will have to upgrade and get used to the new controls.

What was in version 8 that the new version doesn't have? They haven't changed it all that much.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Check your Safari version. Safari updates also update WebKit (which is why they need a restart) and the iTunes Store needs those webkit updates.

6. Eric S. thread starter macrumors 68040

Eric S.

It's all the crap they've added starting with iTunes 9 that I don't want.

Safari is 5.0.2 (interestingly Software Update doesn't offer me 5.0.3). But it's also 5.0.2 on my Macbook where the store comes up OK when I switched it to iTunes 10.1.

7. wpotere Guest

Oh well, sorry you don't want it but for a free application you get what you get.

8. Eric S. thread starter macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'm not disputing that but the question "what is the minimum iTunes version required to access the iTunes store?" ought to be a fairly easy one to answer.

9. wpotere Guest

Not really... Apple has no need to inform anyone of what versions are supported as they provide you with free updates. So, to really answer your question, only the latest one is what you should be using. Now, that does not mean that an older version will not work, but you should be surprised when it stops.

There have been some serious changes over the last few releases (Ping and other features) so I am willing to bet that anything less that 10.1 won't work for you.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't see the store home page with 8.2.1 but I can still search and buy that way.

I have 9.something on my other machine and can access the store home page on that machine... but it's sooo much slower than iTunes 8!

11. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

Same problem here.

I'll use that for when I call apple tommorow. Thanks.

It's slow slow slow slow. Compare scrolling in itunes 10 to itunes 8 when you have 20k songs. iTunes 10 has so much bloat.

Good point.

You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Apple doesn't make simple answers like that, it would obligate them to much responsibility.

Colloquially speaking you're a ***** lemming. What is your address so I can send you a box of crayons a coloring book?

Bahh fragmentation sucks...

12. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

So it seems that the store works, for purchasing, activating giftcards, and you may view music pages, just not the HOME page of the store, you can go to sub pages like dance, alternative, rock etc...

I can live with this. Maybe iTunes 11 won't be as bloated and terribly slow on windows 7