iTunes Store on 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlblodgett, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I don't think I have seen confirmation anywhere-- but will the 3G iPhone be able to access the iTunes store (and buy/download songs) over the 3G network?

The first generation iPhone required you to be in a wifi connection in order to download songs from the iTunes store on the iPhone.

Has anyone seen anything to indicate the 3G iPhone will be different?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

According to Engadget and the likes, you cannot download iTunes Store stuff over 3G.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope, still needs wifi. this has been posted about a few times, and is due to licensing issues and people demanding more money to do it over the phone network

4. jlblodgett thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the information. Yet another case of "meet the new iPhone, pretty much the same as the old iPhone."

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

- 3G technology
    - GPS chip
    - Access to thousands of 3rd party applications
    - Overwhelming enterprise support
    - Not forgetting the Sci calculator mode
    - Mobileme integration

I think not. This, my friend, is a quantum leap.

R-Fly

6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Its the carriers fault you cannot use 3G for iTunes Store downloads not Apples.

7. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

yeah, record companies obviously define wireless transactions over the wireless phone network as completely different then wi-fi networks and they want a cut of that, so I guess Apple is just limited to wi-fi transaction for now. Also who knows what kind of cut att wants over transaction over their network.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

To his point, only the first two points listed are exclusive to the iPhone 3G.

Once the iPhone 2.0 software upgrade is out, the new iPhone will be pretty much the same as the old one, save for 3G and GPS.

9. passingXstorm macrumors regular

Ya, and for people like me who live outside a 3G area, and have no use for GPS it's exactly the same lol, just different, and IMO uglier, design.