iTunes Store queue won't clear

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arogge, Nov 11, 2009.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I have a batch of HD video downloads in my iTunes Store queue that I can't delete. Before it was annoying, having to purchase both the regular video and HD video, then delete the unwanted HD download from my queue list, but now it's a problem. I can't empty the unwanted HD downloads, and for me to download them all will tie up my connection for a week or more. I do not have the bandwidth to download many GB of video that I don't need. This means that when I go to purchase something new, all of the HD downloads start again. I am running iTunes 9.0.2, and I am not liking it, either. It is very slow overall and I don't like the interface of its new iTunes Store.

Can anyone suggest how to delete unwanted downloads from the iTunes Store queue? If this keeps up, the list of unwanted downloads will be longer than I can delete without much scrolling, which will really ruin my iTunes Store purchasing experience. This is what I worried about when Apple started pushing HD downloads by default, and now there really appears to be no choice except to get the HD video. There is no more option to buy and download Standard Definition only. :mad:

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There’s no way to get out of it unless you contact iTunes support. The download queue is controlled on the server-side. You can only manage it temporarily from your side.

And I haven’t seen an iTunes TV Show or Movie yet that doesn’t have a link to the SD only version. You’re just not looking hard enough.

What’s sad is you probably paid at least 50 percent more for the HD version you didn’t even want.

In your case, you shouldn’t have purchased the HD versions. For most people, the problem is just the opposite, many just want the HD version. But they’re forced to download and store the SD version too.

It’s easy to say Apple should offer a choice in iTunes accounts for users, but then again what if later down the line you want the SD/HD version too (say you purchase an iPhone or iPod touch). It’s a tough argument to make.

Attached Files:

• ?.jpg
      ?.jpg
      File size:
      66.2 KB
      Views:
  3. locutisofbored macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem dude. I just downloaded them all one at a time and then deleted them as soon as they arrived. It's an excruciatingly slow process, but it eventually works. Now I know where to look for the SD version, so I ALWAYS go there now. I don't have the space for all those HD vids!

4. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

There are several reasons why I didn't notice this Standard Definition link button. For one thing, it indicates that the SD link is for the whole album, not the item that I am trying to buy. If I use the URL that it offers, I am forced back to the HD version page. So, I want to buy the episode Gossip from The Office. I access the downloads page and am presented only with the HD+SD option. I click on the little View button for the section marked Standard Definition in that left column, and it tells me that I am being taken to "View Season Pass, The Office, Season 6". I don't want a Season Pass. I want the episode that I selected. Then the screen refreshes and the SD downloads are shown with the lower prices. Then I have to find the item that I wanted and try purchasing again, because the software forgets which item was highlighted. That is a long way around for something that should be an easy option to refuse HD downloads and set SD by default.

Another reason why I didn't notice this SD option is because it's buried below the advertising for other items that other customers apparently purchased. It should be shown in the area where the purchase is being made, instead of forcing me to scroll down until I find it next to the user reviews.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Those are fine criticisms of the store layout, but in your original post you implied that you were “forced” to purchase the HD version because an SD version didn’t exist.

I was simply point out that’s not the case. I would use the contact iTunes Store link from within iTunes, explain to them that you accidentally purchased the HD versions, ask for a credit to be issued in the amount of the difference between the HD and SD versions and ask them to remove the HD versions from your download queue. Or you can simply download the HD items in your queue and take this as a lesson learned (always look for the SD versions below the season pass link).

Apple’s a forward-looking company. All their current Macs are designed for HD playback, not to mention they have the Apple TV. It’s in their best interests to promote HD content, that’s why it is now the default option. So, you can expect that as more and more content is added to the store — this is going to become more and more of a problem.

On the layout, I agree with you. I think they should make it somewhat more obvious what you’re purchasing. However, there are a few clues on the page (especially the difference in pricing) that should set off a red flag.

Attached Files: