iTunes Store Support Dropped on 9.2.1

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Uh-oh. I do not like the way this is heading. :(

It's been coming for some time now though - the clock is definitely ticking for iTunes 10.6.3 sadly.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Is it really that hard to keep the store working in older iTunes versions? This is weak Apple. 0/10.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Difficulty has nothing to do with it. It's all about Apple deliberately taking stuff away from you so that if you want to do anything that uses their services you have to upgrade.

This is how they force all of us to purchase new Macs.

5. gooser macrumors 6502

i love itunes but have never used the itunes store. this doesn't bother me one bit even though i know i'm in the minority.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not so much. I'm with you, but more from the perspective of not needing it for this. My library consists of ripped CDs that I physically purchased at one point. If I like an artist enough I go out and buy their album. That's just me though, I like to have a physical copy, mainly because it has the album art, liners and such.

I don't use the store for app purchases, can't anyway as I have an iPhone 5 and I'm not buying anything for the Intel Mac at work that's not mine.

But this is not a good sign for those that do use the store.

7. gooser macrumors 6502

eyoungren i guess we're two of a kind. in some ways anyway. apple is just making it harder for them to sell their stuff.

related: even though i have and use several ppc's i also have a 2.13ghz macbook and that has every feature that i want. i predict that a few years down the road that folks are going to be using intel macs from around 2009 the same way they use ppc macs now. for stuff like very low cost machines, optical drives, rosetta and firewire. or maybe a new "internet" machine like a chromebook to be used in conjunction with an older mac. it'll be all right. for the rest of my life anyway.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There is an Intel Mac purchase in our close future. I intend it to be one of the last aluminum MBPs (17") as that particular model can handle later versions of OS X. It's just necessary to do some things. I would have had it already but unfortunately we did not get our refund last year and even the earliest models of MBPs are still in the $300 dollar range, which is out of our budget. As they drop in price though (and as people figure out you can't run OS X 10.10 on them) I get closer to that purchase.

9. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Coincidently or not, from the 18th the first generation Apple TV could no longer access the iTunes Store either. I'm assuming it's runs off the same guts that iTunes 9 does/did?

10. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I'd say so. They just run a modified Tiger after all.

11. jrsx, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

"Force all of us to purchase new Macs." NOT HAPPENING APPLE!!! :p

12. RedCroissant Suspended

Well if the 1 gen ATV does in fact have that in common with iTunes 9, then that will bring the price down on them quite a bit and then maybe I can get one and rip the intro video off of it finally! I was able to get a copy of it, but it turns out that it was a copy of a copy of a screen recording and wasn't really as awesome as I had hoped.

13. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah, pretty sad. Good thing I don't use the store, just the library :D.

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

15. WhiteyFisk macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I was able to access the Store on iTunes 9 and OS X Tiger just last night. Slow as molasses as usual, but everything works. Looks like the outage was temporary?

16. wobegong Guest

What's the problem with no iTunes store? There are plenty of alternatives that millions of people use - iTunes isn't the only place to buy music you know and how often do you need a music player updated anyway? ;)

It will always be able to rip CD's, play MP3's and catalogue your albums :)

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

To add to wobegong's statements, also consider iTunes 4.0.

That version of iTiunes is the ONLY version ever made that will stream your library over the internet. Every version after from 4.01 to current has that feature removed and no versiom before 4.0 ever had it.

There was a time when I was using only iTunes 4.0 just for that feature.

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It must have been because it seems to be back up again. Stupidly slow though.

Attached Files:

• iu.png
      iu.png
      File size:
      587.3 KB
      Views:
  19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

So FaceTime was killed on iOS 6, but we still get the iTunes Store under Tiger.

I like that very much. Hahaha.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

Well, my Macs are on Leopard, but my iPhone 5 is on iOS 6. No Facetime for me right now if I want to use it I think. :)

21. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It's working for me on my iMac too.

I reckon it was fixed not through the demand via the Tiger user base, but the ATV user base. It was just a case of one fixing the other.

22. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

When I saw this title I thought it was referring to MAC OS 9.2.1. And I was thinking "Well obviously? It's been quite a while now!" :p

It can still access Apple's time and date server though! :D

23. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That was done because of how iTunes 8 accessed the store. It used a different rendering engine that was incompatible with the new iTunes 9 store. You can still access the iTunes Store on a G3 running Tiger. All you need to do is install iTunes 9.1 via Pacifist or a G4 machine. It all works except for iTunes Extras.

25. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Yeah, the old store just showed you a big table full of songs, didn't it?

Answers in the attached document.

I did not know that!

Personally, I just download everything on my new Macs using iTunes Match, then use rsync to copy it over to the G3s.