iTunes store won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RollTide, Jun 28, 2008.

1. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Title prrrrrretty much says it all. I am browsing the internet and decide to download a new song, but can't connect. All other internet needy apps work. I get an error -50 and an error -3 after a few minutes of waiting.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. My ipod touch has no problem accessing hte store.

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

3. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

This is on my Mac, no firewall has been changed.

4. tratclif macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. I've been having some intermittent connection issues with my DSL lately, so it may have corrupted some .plist somewhere.

Powermac G5, Mac Leopard and latest iTunes. When I open iTunes and try to go to the iTunes Store, after a 60 second timeout I will get a "-50 unexpected error" message and a blank iTunes window. If I click on an iTunes link, like the DailyTunes sidebar on the MacRumors front page, I can go to that song, and from there can navigate around to anything but the "home" page -- that is, I can get to home->movies or home->music, but not home. I can sign into my account and see the settings.

All other net apps seem to be workiing, Firefox, Safari, mail.app, yahoo messenger.

Edit: iTune on my Powerbook is working happily through the same router.

5. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

I have exactly the same issue tratclif. I can open the mini store though. This is still very annoying.

6. tratclif macrumors newbie

Even stranger: if I click the home button, or click on iTunes Store in the playlist column, it times out. But if I've gotten to the store through a link, I can click on the "iTunes Store" link on the left side and get to the main page.

I have noticed one issue with Firefox, when I posted this I got a "bad request" error even though the post actually went through. As I said, I was having off-and-on connection issues recently, and I was using Firefox and iTunes while those issues were happening.

7. tratclif macrumors newbie

Found a solution: create a new Location in Network Preferences.

1. Quit iTunes or any othe Internet app acting up.
    Open System Preferences -> Network Preferences. In the list at left, highlight the device you're using to connect to the Internet, usually Ethernet or Airport, and note down what you're using.

2. Take a note of what's in the the "Configure" line. If it's "Using DHCP", skip to the next step. If it's "Manually" note down all the numbers EXACTLY in the next four lines. (I've never seen Using Bootp or Using DHCP with Manual Address used before, so I can't advise you on those.)

3. Click on the "Location" drop-down, and select "Edit Locations." Click on the plus sign, and type in a name for the new location. Click Done.

4. Click again on the "Location" drop-down, and select your new location. Select the device you're using to connect to the internet (from step 1) and configure it from the notes in step 2 -- if you're using DHCP, that's the default. Click Apply

5. If this works, you can delete the old location that wasn't working.

8. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

hmmm sounds interesting, I'll give it a try later.

THANKS!

9. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

AHHHHHH THANK YOU Tratclif!!!!!! I was worried because it's late and I barely followed your directions and it was kinda shaky at first, but it works now!

Bellsouth has really been crap lately and Itunes store still opens slow, but at least it opens now. Thanks again man

+100 karma points

10. tratclif macrumors newbie

Those karma points will have to be discounted, though, because my fix became unfixed today. I noticed it when Firefox started generating "Bad Request" error messages when, for example, I would try to post to a vBulletin site like MacRumors. This time I tried to be more methodical.

1. Deleted the new location I created as described in an earlier post, then recreated a location with the same name. No good.

2. Deleted location above, and created a new location with a new name. No good.

3. Repaired permissions (well, it couldn't hurt...). Got the following errors:

2008-07-03 21:12:12 -0400: Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    2008-07-03 21:12:42 -0400: Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ContentFiltering", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    2008-07-03 21:12:42 -0400: Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .

Still didn't work.

4. Restarted. No good.

5. Deleted all DHCP locations, created a new "Automatic" DHCP connection. Switched to a static IP location (which generated an error, since the Mac and the router now had the same IP). Switched back to the "Automatic" location, and lo and behold it worked this time.

I think I need to edit all this together and send a bug report to Apple.

11. lenwhyte macrumors newbie

iTunes cannot connect to Store Home page

I spent many hours tracking this down. Finally resolved it by determining that: IF A USER ACCOUNT HAS "PARENTAL CONTROLS ENABLED" IN THE SYSTEM PREFERENCES ACCOUNT entry, then iTunes will NOT open the store HOME page. It will do Searches, but not open the HOME page. I had user accounts with parental controls enabled simply to lock the dock and prevent them administering printers. However, it appears that you don't need to activate these controls. Simply ENABLING parental controls for the account is enough to bring on the iTunes problem. This was totally reproducible for me, and I demonstrated it ad nauseum using a newly created account. BTW, I'm not talking about the iTunes preferences here, I'm talking about the attributes for the user login in the Accounts panel of System Preferences. Try it out and let me know if this fixes things for you too. It sure saw the end to timeouts and error -50 for me!