iTunes - storing files in folder on external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MythicFrost, Apr 25, 2016.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm trying to do a couple of things here:

1: As the title says, I want to have iTunes show content in a folder on an external drive, and have it update in iTunes when I add or remove content. (I don't want to go "Add to Library" each time.)

2: I dual boot Windows, but don't want to have to switch back to Mac (or visa versa) to AirPlay TV shows from iTunes. I'd like to have Mac and Windows both be able to use this folder on the external drive.

Is any of that possible? I've Googled around, but I didn't get any answers specifically for what I'm trying to do. I thought about multiple libraries, but I don't want to open a different library at different times.

I have a feeling this is a no go, but I figured I may as well ask. Appreciate any input!

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

1. Absolutely. Just remember to mount the drive before starting iTunes.
    2. No idea if windows and OSX iTunes share library structure. Why not just test it quickly using a current library or create a small one?

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks for the reply!

Regarding #1, so I can add content to this folder and iTunes will automatically show the new content when I open it next? I don't have to "add" this content to iTunes itself (from that folder), is that correct?

I may test it out if the above is true

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I misunderstod what you meant in the first post. I thought you wanted your entire library on the external drive. Wit what you are describing now, no, it is not possible.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ahh dang. That's unfortunate, I seem to have found an alternate solution however. I have an AEBS with an external drive, and can use an iPhone/iPad to access it and then AirPlay straight to the TV. (If I had the new Apple TV, I could use VLC to do this directly too!)

Thanks for the help though!