Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
this is really really weird and i have no idea how to explain the problem. i can have iTunes playing a track while i am not using the powerbook. then i will hear the song start to stutter or overlap itself. if i don't touch the mouse or keyboard, it will do it for about 6 seconds and then instantly go back to normal sounding. if i hear it and i immediately press a key or move the mouse, it will stop doing it and go back to normal sounding.

i have no idea what could be causing this. it seems like a buffer thing but i really dont know. i am using iTunes 6.0.1.

anyone else expierenced this?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
tekmoe said:
this is really really weird and i have no idea how to explain the problem. i can have iTunes playing a track while i am not using the powerbook. then i will hear the song start to stutter or overlap itself. if i don't touch the mouse or keyboard, it will do it for about 6 seconds and then instantly go back to normal sounding. if i hear it and i immediately press a key or move the mouse, it will stop doing it and go back to normal sounding.

i have no idea what could be causing this. it seems like a buffer thing but i really dont know. i am using iTunes 6.0.1.

anyone else expierenced this?

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people complain about this issue with the new Powerbooks (I assume it's only happening for you on the 17"). I haven't heard about a workaround yet though. :/

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
where else can i read about this problem? i was not aware other people were having the same issue which makes me feel somewhat better about it. :rolleyes:

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Mine has skipped around a bit lately too, although nothing compared to the way it skipped on my Thinkpad. That thing could barely handle iTunes when it first came out and would skip everytime the processor got too much stuff thrown at it.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
i don't want to say it is skipping......

it sounds more like it's overlapping itself over and over for about 5 seconds and then it goes back to sounding normal. i wish i had an example to show you guys so you could hear. hmmmm...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
On Windows, its because of QuickTime...

Go to Edit>Preferences>QuickTime Preferences>Audio
Uncheck "Safe Mode (waveOut Only)"

i'm not sure if it will work but it did the trick on my old computer.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
ok you know how in windows when an app crashes and you start moving crap around and it leaves trails??? think of it like that but sound instead of picture! hahahaha i know that doesn't help much but it's the best i can think of right now...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
tekmoe said:
ok you know how in windows when an app crashes and you start moving crap around and it leaves trails??? think of it like that but sound instead of picture! hahahaha i know that doesn't help much but it's the best i can think of right now...

No, its not like that (that ended way back in Windows ME, by the way). I know what your talking about... just think of a CD skipping...

and did my solution work?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
sorry dude, i am using mac. and yes, i checked anyway. there is nothing in the preferences that you mentioned.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Update: Last night, the problem happened again. i started thinking about it and i went into the sound preferences. i know all of you have experienced the issue where the sound output will shift to the left or right all on it's own...well, i checked it and it was shifted to the left by a few notches. i hate when that happens. so i moved it back to the center. since i have done this, i have not heard the sound stutter at all. i've listened to music in itunes for at least 4 hours since i did this. the problem would have most definitely displayed itself by now i think...

thirdspace

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
hey tekmoe

.. looks like i'm having the same problem as you. the itunes will do that thing where it repeats a half second of audio for about 5-6 seconds than goes back to normal. i tried doing what you said, adjusting the sound output thing in sound preferences but the problem is still happening.. any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.