itunes subscription? yay or no

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Freyqq, Apr 30, 2007.

?

Would you buy an itunes music subscription?

1. Yes I would pay for a subscription music service

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No, I'd rather buy CDs or download songs from itunes

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

So...its all over the news that apple does not want to do a subscription service because the users show no interest. I for one would definately go for a subscription service..assuming it's moderately priced...because it would probably save me money in the long run. Also, I'd probably download a lot more music instead of just buying the stuff I really want to listen to.

So...would you use a subscription music service in itunes?

2. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I would download a lot more than I do now, but for what reason? To listen to songs once or twice? I'd be taken for a ride.

3. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

4. JMKE macrumors newbie

WHY NOT!
    "The subscription model has failed so far.” - Steve Jobs

Jobs appears poised to stick with Apple's current a- la-carte and album download model.

But he doesn't know what he's talking about

I love the idea. Apple, Inc. is the best company on the face of the Earth! With the subscription, the music I buy will be of better quality and I'll be able to transfer my better quality music on to other music players other than the ipod!

Hey what are your thoughts on the Apple move to add a subscription to the iTunes store??:cool:

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Choice is good.

The only thing I would add is that I hate how the other services have limitations on some music- a lot of albums have some songs excluded from rental (I assume to encourage you to buy those songs.) That's a total bait-and-switch, considering that you don't know going in what songs are going to be excluded.

6. jr.man macrumors newbie

Yeah sounds like a good idea, i would definitely purchase more music, especially cause its itunes and they have better selection.

7. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

conclusions:

37% may not be the majority..and this is a very small poll...but it definitely shows interest

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I wouldn't pay for a subscription, but I still think Apple should do one. More choice for the consumer can only be a good thing, and it would only further cement Apple's position as the top online music provider.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

First, just to be clear, most of the "subscription" services are rentals not subscriptions. Secondly, in order for Apple to offer rentals it would have to add additional DRM to Fairplay and to iPods (which don't administer Fairplay).

People who choose to rent music already have several sources. Apple has been the leading force behind less restrictive, and now no, DRM. Adding new restrictions doesn't enhance their position.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not so. Gotta read those words carefully... the key here is 'so far'... ;)

I wouldn't use it myself, prefer CDs for various reasons: quality, choice of music, choice of ripping rate, CD as back-up, etc.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd only be interested if it works like a magazine subscription where you can cancel at any time. If, on the other hand, all my music would disappear once I stopped paying, then I wouldn't bother.

12. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I imagine I could subscribe to it for a few months every couple of years, so I could check out some bands and genres that I wouldn't dare to spend money on otherwise. Then, after the subscription is over (and the music won't work anymore), I could consider buying the the more interesting and enjoyable albums the good, old fashioned, way -- as CDs.

Currently, I do this by lending CDs from the library and by.. doing something a little bit less legal.

13. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I would never go with a subscription-based service, I perfer to own the music that I download. I find music subscriptions too restrictive.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Music = No

Video = No

VIDEO RENTAL - YES YES YES

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

That is how these subscription services work, and why they are cr@p.

There is no way that the record companies are going to allow you to download via subscription and then keep the music once you cancel.