iTunes suggestion: listening stats - hours etc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aznguyen316, May 20, 2009.

1. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Okay this kind of came to me from a similar idea in the gaming world. I'm a big gamer and stats and stuff like that are interesting to me. Anyway here's my suggestion (which for those of you who have Steam may know how this works).

Keep track of hours of music listened to in say a continuous 2 week span. This can be synced through your ipod and within itunes itself. And give ratings related to how much hours of music you have listened to in the those 2 weeks. So if you've listened to I dunno 12 hours of music within that span, it'll keep track and give you a rating like: 'casual listener' or if you have totaled up 40 hours of music listening you're an 'avid music fan'. I dunno what to call them but I like knowing how much music I've really listened to recently and this would be cool.
    Or to take it even further, see what genre (granted you have this organized in iTunes) that you're listening to most and this can go even deeper.

For me it's just another thing to look at and this will probably keep me listening to music, using iTunes just to keep my stats up. If I see a drop in hours per the two weeks, I'd be more inclined to try to listen to more that week or something. And if genre can be kept track of, maybe I can switch it up. I love music and this is just another way for me to keep track of my listening habits, maybe change it up or just keep me going.

I know there's a # times played for songs but I'd like an overall count of hours of music listened to and since there IS already a counter for songs played, it won't be too hard to add in some code to add in the minutes of those songs played and it will only be needed within iTunes rather than new firmware for iPod etc. It'd be fun. I'll post a screen of what it's like on Steam (PC gaming service/community).

Check the attachment to see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

2. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

no one? eh.. I thought it was a good idea. Submitted it to apple for suggestion =)

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I know there is a thread somewhere around these parts that has kinda what you're asking for.

Otherwise, I have an extremely poorly made Java program that spits listening time...

4. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

It's not exactly the same, but for some good listening tracking info and stats, check out Last.fm.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So how is Killing Floor?

As with the stats thing there is an inherent problem with that; I have people who have computers dedicated to CSS, they they stop playing it they leave the game running and get unrealistic stats like 336 hours of play. I sometimes leave my music on when I'm not at home; just a habit.

Like so from one of my friends:
    venom_221hrs.png

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I hate it when I forget to pause my iTunes before I leave it for an extended period of time (like over dinner/hour or so). I kinda like to keep my listening time as close to real as possible. That, and my play counts are king. Library stats go back about 8 years.

From my little coffee program:

Total Songs: 4824
    Total Play Counts: 73548
    Total Library Play Time: 13 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes 0 seconds (13:15:18:0.638).
    Total Listening Time: 199 days, 6 hours, 6 minutes 8 seconds (199:6:6:8.887).

Total Videos: 193
    Total Play Counts: 964
    Total Library Play Time: 2 days, 15 hours, 57 minutes 0 seconds (2:15:57:0.690).
    Total Watching Time: 13 days, 23 hours, 51 minutes 39 seconds (13:23:51:39.891).

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you tried iTunes Statistician?

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    OOH! I just download it, and it is cool. How interesting. I love it.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Lol, if you auto_update, the program delete itself. Probably because the developer website doesn't exist anymore...
    Top artists are: Linkin Park, The Killers, Maroon 5, and Coldplay...what does that say about me?

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'd forgot about that. :)

You can turn it off in Preferences.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Check out your menubar too. It doesn't delete itself, wholly. So I had 3 of those icons wasting space.

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Slightly off-topic, but plants vs. zombies is awesome :)

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

holy crap! Go outside. :eek:

14. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

lol, I'm working about 24 hours a week and get my activity goin on, I just also have a lot of free time. Not gonna make an excuse, but this is the most activity I've had on steam for awhile, just those two games recently released and they are a LOT of fun =) plus it's been raining like nuts the past two weeks here in South FL.

Killing Floor is awesome, mix if CSS and CoD4's perk system and gunplay.
    PvZ is indeed very awesome.

okay back on topic.. glad to see others finally posting into this. Yeah an integrated stats would really be awesome, although I know what you mean about leaving music on, which can throw it off, it happens. This is more for personal use you know, unless you can add other appleID's on a friends list for more of a social aspect. I will look at those iTunes stats thing and see how those work.
    Do they keep track well?
    anyway, more thoughts on this would be cool, love to hear it.