Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuukular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Is there any way to use my multi channel audio interface, which is hooked up via firewire to output the surround channels. There is no decoder in the firewire device present, so I guess I would need some sort of software decoder. Is anyone aware of any solution that might fit my needs? I want to watch movies from the iTunes Store, so I guess that solution would need to integrate with iTunes. I haven't found any solution to that so far, but probably someone else has already done this?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if your surround system has optical in, all macs have had optical out for quite some time. you just need a toslink to mini plug cable (or an adapter if you already have a cable)

i've never used this with movies from the iTunes store, but it should work.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Yes, you can set up a fictive 5.1/6.1/7.2 surround speaker in Audio/MIDI Setup from any set of audio-outputs.
VLC, XBMC etc will decode the DTS/DD to 5.1 PCM suitable for the Firewire device.

Nuukular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Yes, you can set up a fictive 5.1/6.1/7.2 surround speaker in Audio/MIDI Setup from any set of audio-outputs.
VLC, XBMC etc will decode the DTS/DD to 5.1 PCM suitable for the Firewire device.

Does this mean I will need to use VLC or XBMC to play the movie? If so, I don't think this will work with movies from the iTunes store.. I am not sure right now if I understand your answer correctly.
I tried setting up a 5.1 speaker setup, but it appears iTunes won't let you select the 5.1 stream unless you use the digital buit in output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.