iTunes sync - 10.5 to 10.6 different folder layout?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paddyhazard, Mar 12, 2010.

1. paddyhazard macrumors regular

Hi, i'm trying to sync my itunes between my work mac and my home mac but i run leopard at work and snow leopard at home. I'm trying to sync my whole itunes folder using cronosync between the two using either a portable harddrive or when i bring my mac into work. Everything else i sync between the two work this way but funny stuff is happening with my music.

All my music on my home mac was replaced with my work stuff and now some stuff i added at home doesn't show up at work. Applications and podcasts work though. Looking on my home mac (10.6), i think the original folder structure (and where the library was linking) was itunes/itunes media/music - and here was all the music files but my work mac was in itunes/itunes music. It seems that as i replaced the whole library on my home mac that it's pointing to the music in itunes/itunes music and ignoring all the original stuff in itunes/itunes media/itunes music.

Can anyone confirm that 10.6 has a different folder structure than 10.5 and anyone suggest any ideas on how to fix it so that i can sync all my music perfectly without upgrading my work mac to 10.6 (IT guy at work is a windows guy and doesn't see the point in upgrading). Could i replicate the folder structure myself do you think?

Thanks

2. paddyhazard thread starter macrumors regular

After a little more exploring and testing, it seems that all newly added media is in itunes media but it is still referencing lots of media from the older itunes music folder. I think i'm going to have to start again with all my music, moving it all into itunes media, replacing lot's of what's in there and relink the entire library unless there's an easier way?

As itunes media is now the defult media folder for both libraries, is there a way to get itunes to go through the whole folder and add anything in there that is not currently in the library?