iTunes sync between multiple devices

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaulKemp, May 11, 2012.

1. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've been trying to search for the best tips an how-to, but i didn't really find anything. So I'm asking here for tips on the best way to keep everything synced. My devices are:
    1. Windows 2008 server, with tons of music
    2. iMac with 256 GB HDD
    3. Macbook Air with 128 GB drive
    4. iPad 2 16 GB

The iMac is the primary workstation. I would like to have all the music and podcasts form the iMac on both the iPad and MBA automatically. Preferable the exact same library. Ive tried home sharing form the server, but the server barely manages to run iTunes :). I accept keeping a small library with music that i actually listen to, so that i have space on both the iPad and MBA.

How can I manage to do this in the best possible way? I have my iPad setup so that it syncs, so thats fine. But what about the library on the MBA?

And I will definitely add a iPhone to this setup in the next 6 months. So everything needs to be tidy when the phone arrives.

[​IMG]

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Anyone have any idea why the server wouldn't be able to stream iTunes? Weird Home Sharing is't working well

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

What exactly are you trying to Sync? The physical files so you can play them offline? Or you aiming at keeping all files on all devices and the iTunes 'library' with said files sync'd across devices?

4. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

O, forget the server, that's just there as a backup and a huge library. But forget it anyway. :)

I want the exact same files that are available on the iMac to be replicated or synced over to the MBA. Wireless. Replicated both ways preferably.

The sync to the iPad seems to be ok with wifi iTunes sync.