Itunes sync help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jasonh85, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jasonh85 macrumors newbie

Right guys, I'm stuck, Here is the situation.

My iphone has been historically synced with computer 1. computer 1 died on me a few weeks ago, however I had a backup of all my music files (not in itunes format - I dont have a back up of my old media library).

I bought computer 2, which I have authorised and I have created a new library which almost looks identical to my old library, albeit some different songs on there etc.

My phone has used 4.3gb of storage on music and has about 0.7gb free.

My new library on computer 2 has about 4.2gb of music.

My understanding was that when I hit sync, it will replace all the 4.3gb worth of music which was synced on my old computer (computer 1) with the current library on my new computer (computer 2) however this doesn't happen.

I get an error message saying it cannot be synced as there is not enough free space to hold all the items in the itunes library. I need an additional 3.48GB

This suggests to me it's trying to add the current library onto the exisiting library which means i'll have doubles of everything.

Please help, I don't know what to do? someone suggested restore to factory settings > restore from back up > sync new library?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

unless thats a real big issue try that.

3. Jasonh85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there, it's not a big issue, but i'm trying to avoid it incase anything goes wrong, I'm not understanding why when pressing sync it's not wiping the phone and replacing it as it should?

If I restore from back up, will I still keep my camera roll, apps, messages in the apps ie whatsapp, phone contacts and previous messages and call data?

4. Jasonh85 thread starter macrumors newbie

any1 have any ideas why its not syncing to a new library?

whats the manually manage music function mean?

5. Jasonh85 thread starter macrumors newbie

What makes it even worse is that I opened a blank music library, attempted to sync with a blank library, it even warns me that it's going to delete everything on the phone and replace it with this new library.

After sync, guess what, my phone is just as it has been!

argh

6. Jasonh85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Help :(

When I connect my phone to iTunes, when I expand my device, there is nothing on the music tab

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

restore your, device - I think everything you want to keep is in the back up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946 tells you what is available from the backup.

note: if you want to reply to someone like the quote button on their post. they will then get a notification and most likely get back to you.

----------

example quoted post.

8. Jasonh85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im currently backing up to icloud and its taking up to 4 hours as its the first time. I don't want to risk losing stuff.

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

so you have no complete backups?

10. Jasonh85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I did a back up on iTunes, what does that back up?

everything?

I was told app data is not backed up ie whatsapp messages etc

11. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

If you have done a complete backup on itunes then I think you'll be OK,

as i mentioned in a previous post:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946 tells you what is available from the backup.

I would now proceed to check that you have a backup in the correct path and then do a restore.