iTunes Sync - Internet Radio

Vlad Soare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

In iTunes on macOS you can listen to free internet radio stations. Choose "File/Open stream", then enter the URL of the radio station, and a track will be created in the local music library, which can be added to a playlist and played as if it were a regular music track.
However, when I sync the playlists with my iPhone, these tracks are ignored. They will not sync.
Am I missing anything? Is there any way to get internet radio streams to sync with the iPhone?

I want to listen to free internet radio stations while driving. I do have a radio streaming app installed, i.e. TuneIn, but its functionality is limited, and it can't be controlled via Siri, so it's not really suited to driving. The Music app, on the other hand, is. So I thought I might use it for radio streaming as well. Is it possible?

Thank you.

bransoj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2013
I've got an Apple Music subscription and that lets me do internet radio. I can say "Play Radio X" to Siri and it will play Radio X via the Music app. Not sure if they work without Apple Music subscription though.

This app may help you though :-
https://www.radio-shorties.app/

bransoj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2013
Yeh sorry...i didnt realise this until after i'd posted it. Borderline greedy needing a subscription to do that to be honest. One off fee to but it maybe but not monthly fee.

The other option is if you can use the Shortcuts app to do something similar or look for a radio app that has incorporates Siri shortcuts. I've got two ways of loading the Radio X stream, i either ask Siri to do it and it loads it via Apple Music or i set up a shortcut via the Shortcuts app where i can click a button in the widget view and it loads and starts the Radio X app. A shortcut set up can have a siri shortcut assigned as well so you could have, a bit messy but would work, various apps for the radio stations you listen to and then set up shortcuts with assigned siri shortcut to load and play each app. Just hide the apps away in a folder somewhere. Not ideal but a bit of a workaround.