Itunes sync issues with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by osvald, Jun 2, 2010.

1. osvald macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I have a iPhone 3GS and an iMac and use itunes to sync between the two.

I have recently performed a clean install of the iMac but restored the iTunes folder from my TM disk as i understood all the Apps from my iPhone was placed in there.

Now i'm trying to sync between the two again, and are now being warned that the information is synchronized with another user account and if I would like to sync with this account instead. I have the option to combine or replace the information on my iPhone...?!?!

I have tried to google this as to find out what my 2 options here really means, but i am definetely not sure, hence my question in this forum

What exactly should one do here...I am obviously not interested in loosing any of my apps, contacts or calendar entries, whereas music and video is not important as they are on a NAS.

I'm using OSX SL, and all SW on both iMac and iPhone are up to date

I'm sorry if this is not making any sense, but i feel i dont have completely control ovcer whats going on when syncing, choosing various options..

Hope you can lead me in the right direction..

Thanks

2. celticpride678

You should replace.

The reason that message is showing up is because iTunes recognizes that the iPhone was synced with another computer (because of the clean install) and the iPhone can only be synced to one computer at a time.

Everything should be back on the iPhone.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The first thing you should have done was authorize the computer.

Next, you should right click on the iPhone in iTunes and transfer purchases and also to make a backup.

4. osvald thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and sorry for the misplacement of this thread!!

Are you suggesting a replace Info sync or a combone Info sync??

Cheers

5. celticpride678

Replace info.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

OP, make sure you post after doing this, okay?

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm having a different but similar problem. New computer, copied my itunes library to the new computer and everything 'came over' with it and seemed to be working. Authorized the computer and....when I plug in my iPhone or iPad they are simply not recognized by iTunes. I've rebooted etc, I've checked in system profiler and under USB devices it says 'iPhone' but as far as iTunes is concerned, nothing is plugged in.

Any advice?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Reinstall iTunes (maybe even uninstall and reinstall), try a different USB port (preferably off the MOBO), or reboot computer or iPhone.

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

So there was a firmware update that seems to have fixed this...But I suspect at least one of my USB ports is defective as well...

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

I take it back. It worked, and then after a reboot it's broken again.

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

Well, this seems fixed.

I am 99% sure one of my USB ports is bad, and a reinstall of iTunes (Deleting some kexts that I can't find to report here (facepalm) ) seems to have done it.