iTunes sync on a Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jasonhenley, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Jasonhenley macrumors newbie

Help!

Just got my first mac and love it. Trouble is, that I want to change the pc to a mac but missus wont let me.

So, what I need is a program that can sync my itunes folder with my pc and mac.

I have over 40gb songs and would love to be able to have the library available on my pc and mac.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

J

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I *believe* you need to format the ipod on a PC, then both mac and PC will be able to read it, *but* you lose some helpful auto-sync features and stuff like that.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

He doesn't mention an iPod at all, he just wants the same music files on both his computers.

I use an app called Chronosync to sync folders across computers.

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

swiftaw, I like your avatar. ;)

Wouldn't an airport extreme w/external HDD let you both have the same music library?

Or you can just use the iTunes music sharing feature (but of course, both computers need to be turned on then..)

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

My house is networked (mix of wired and wireless).

All of my music is on a Windows desktop machine.

On my Windows laptop, another Windows desktop, and my Mac desktop, I just add the same music to my library, being sure not to allow iTunes to "manage" my music for me.

So, what would take up 240 GB of space across 4 computers, actually only takes up 60 GB of space on one. Since the shared directory that contains the music is read-only, I don't have to worry about the computer idiots in the house deleting anything, or messing up ID3 tags.