iTunes Sync Q

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rugmankc, Nov 5, 2014.

1. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Not sure if right place to ask. Am new to Apple in General.

I have gotten all my songs and videos/photos from iMac to iPhone manually and with some syncing. I got them there in my original folders also. But, now I seem not to be able to sync individual songs. I know I am doing something wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8vtksh6l814ns4/Screenshot 2014-11-05 16.02.19.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/le7w2xaeaui6igy/Screenshot 2014-11-05 16.02.57.png?dl=0

I hope I did screen shots correctly and only show my selection. But it doesn't allow me to individullay sync songs.

I have been making specific playlists and manually putting current purchases into them. Just did a 34 song Soft Jazz Album and put to iPhone from iMac after downloading to iMac from iTunes. Into a Soft Jazz Playlist I made on iMac in iTunes.

The videos I googled for help seem to be older iOS ones.

Thanks

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

So if the checkbox in the top left is unchecked iTunes doesn't sync music from your library to your phone. When you check the box, it will overwrite whatever music is on the phone with what you've selected from your iTunes library.

How exactly have you been putting the music onto the phone if not using iTunes?

Edit: to clarify, since you're coming from Android, the Apple iTunes model is more of a hub/spoke sync than a per to peer sync. iTunes is the master and pushes content out to the phones. If you buy something via the iTunes store and download it to the phone iTunes will note this and transfer purchases from the phone if it hasn't already downloaded them from the internet. Same for apps and videos.

3. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

If I check the Sync Music box in first pic I get the warning box, second pic. No option to to deselect Entire Music Library and do Individual.

Been Manually importing from iPhoto where I had all my photos for a couple years since I got the iMac.

Did sync my videos and originally synced all music/albums which were also in iTunes for a couple years.

Now as I do smaller quantities I get no choice on Music other than Entire Library--

So, I am manually using the Add To feature to get to iPhone--

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm using iTunes match at the moment so can't validate, but as I recall you typically can't change the options until you've enabled the category. In most things your changes don't occur until you hit Apply, but the warning you have suggests it might start a sync.

So long as all your content is in iTunes, then the worst thing that happens is the sync starts for everything and you cancel the sync. Then change the options for what you want to sync over and hit Apply to get it started.

Probably best to do a manual backup before hand just in case. :)

5. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

I thought about that but was afraid I couldn't stop the sync. My son uses Match and likes it. I have everything in my original folders/albums dating back to years on Android and before and don't want to lose that structure when syncing. I manually did all that Music to iCloud also, making my folders there first.

I don't do a lot new anymore as am from the 50's and 60's and have all my favorites already on phone and computer. One time items like the Soft Jazz album purchase or a new ripped Blue Ray are most of what I will do in future. Would like to get more in to photos with this great camera. But, I hate to have a problem/issue and not solve it. It eats away until resolved--:)

Videos seem to want to sync all also and not just a new one. Found that out when I synced 3 then wanted another one to copy over by itself and the sync erased the first 3, so I did all 4 at one time.

A learning curve I guess. When my son and his wife gets in for Christmas I can get some hands on help. He's been all Apple for decades--:apple:

I may try the Full sync if I have one song item. Then try to stop and see if I get the individual choice back.

I am loving everything about the new phone and all the continuity.