Itunes Sync question (multiple devices)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SaMaster14, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Well, I have an Ipod Touch and I'm probably going to be getting an Ipad for school. BUT, I want different apps on each, and different music (but music from the same library).

So basically, usually if I plug a new device into my Itunes it asks if I want to make that my main device (and it will delete everything off the old one).

So, is there a way to manually manage what goes on both my Ipod and my Ipad seperatly, using the same computer and same Itunes library?

Thank you,
    Sam

I know its possible, but I just don't know exactly how to do it, so that I can manually manage each device separately, but with the same Itunes account.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you click on the device's icon in the iTunes sidebar, it will show all the syncing options. just go through each one and tick what you want to be synced to that device.

I have an iPod and an iPhone synced to my MacBook. I only sync some of my music to the iPhone, but none to the iPod. I sync all my photos to both and so on.

3. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I just plugged in my Ipad... and it asks if I want to restore from backup of my Ipod Touch or set up as new Ipad.

What do I do here? If I "set up as new Ipad" won't it delete all of my music and apps and the such (and screw up what is on my ipod)

OR... if I click restore from back-up, will it think that my Ipod is now not in use... so it won't sync properly?

I know what to do to get certain things on each device, but how do I get past this first step?
    Thanks!

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Every device has individual settings.

What it's asking you is: do you want to start from scratch? Or do you want to start from your backup of your iPod Touch?

It simply copies all the settings from your iPod Touch, it doesn't affect the Touch in anyway. I've sync'd dozens of different devices on my iTunes with all different settings.

5. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh ok. So if I do choose "set up as new Ipad" it won't delete any of my music or anything, correct?

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Every device has it's own settings.

Doing something to one device does not affect the setting on another device.