iTunes sync questions with 2 Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kong1933, May 16, 2011.

1. kong1933 macrumors newbie

I will be away from my iMac for several weeks, using my MacBook Pro and iPad. I now sync the iPad with the iMac.

Is there a way to sync my iPad on the road with the MacBook and not lose all the apps, etc. when I plug it in? I will mainly need to sync in order to copy Keynote docs from the MacBook to the iPad in the pane at the bottom of the apps section of the iPad on iTunes.

That is, can I copy the iTunes folder over to the MacBook and keep things safe on the iPad. Both Macs are authorized with iTunes.

Thanks.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes, that will work. since the iTunes folder contains the iTunes library file, iPad will think it is syncing with the same old library it always used to (which it essentially is).

alternatively, consider getting a mobile hard drive such as this. copy the entire iTunes folder to it, then launch iTunes while holding option (⌥). click on choose library at the prompt and select the iTunes folder on the external HD.

voilà, you have a mobile library that can be used with any computer.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You don't have to SYNC with the same library if you only want to add file into Keynote, Page etc...