iTunes sync with 1st gen iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mikehockenballs, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mikehockenballs macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Hi Guys,

I have been a member of this site for years now since I got my 1st gen iphone 2 weeks before they were available in the UK, but I have had other phones since then like Blackberry, HTC Diamond, Toshiba TG01 etc... but I have recently tried to use my iphone again and get it back to a working phone etc...

So I accidentally upgraded to 3.1.3 which meant that the phone needed to be jailbroken again. I have managed to do this using iTunes version 8.2, the 7A341 restore IPSW file and redsnow 0.8.

The first time I did the jailbreak I had a problem with cydia closing down after the initial 'updating files' bit, so I have jailbroken it again using the same process but now when I connect the iphone to itunes I get a message in itunes saying... ' iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iphone to its factory settings'. iTunes shows the version of my iphone as 3.0 so I think that it should sync fine.

Now correct me if I am wrong but since i used the 8.2 version of itunes and the 7A341 IPSW version, shouldn't the phone be able to sync properly and then allow me to add tunes, videos, pictures, ringtones using itunes?

Or am I missing a fairly obvious point here somewhere?

I have tried 'iMacsoft - iphone to PC transfer' and '****** iphone transfer' with no success at all. In fact when i used the ****** software it shut down Internet Explorer everytime.

So basically all I want to do now that the phone is jailbroken and working fine, is add music, videos, pictures and ringtones using itunes.

If you can tell me what I am doing wrong and how to resolve it I would be a happy chappy again, after spending a day and a half jailbreaking my iphone.

Cheers!

Mike ;)

2. mikehockenballs, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Which iTunes Version?

Thanks for your quick reply 'Myzhi' :)

I have had a quick read of the process but it doesn't mention if I should use version 8.2 of iTunes to download version 3.1.3 or if I can install the latest version of iTunes which is something like 10.5.2 ?

I would prefer to have the latest version of itunes installed to avoid any future issues and take advantage of any newer features in 10.5.2 etc... if possible. But does the latest version of itunes let me upgrade to 3.1.3 for 1st gen iphones?

But if I have to keep itunes version 8.2 to complete this jailbreak process then thats just fine as well.

Cheers!

*** Update ***

I installed iTunes version 10.1.2 and all of the other software in the Modmyi guide, and everything went well first time.

Cheers for your help!

Mike :)