Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmfair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
I have iTunes on my iMac. I have like 500 apps on the iTunes. When I plug my phone into the iMac, it syncs all the apps to my phone. I only want to sync one of the apps because that particular app is no longer available in the App Store. The app is Pimp Your Screen. Can you give me step by step instructions because once the apps from iTunes start syncing, I have to eject and restore my phone or it will be a big mess!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have iTunes on my iMac. I have like 500 apps on the iTunes. When I plug my phone into the iMac, it syncs all the apps to my phone. I only want to sync one of the apps because that particular app is no longer available in the App Store. The app is Pimp Your Screen. Can you give me step by step instructions because once the apps from iTunes start syncing, I have to eject and restore my phone or it will be a big mess!

I found a discussion on apple support about this from 2012. I avoid iTunes like the plague so I don't know if it works. It's the guy with the Pittsburgh Steelers avatar responding and "this solved my problem" is shown on his response...

You do not have to sync the iPhone apps. You can select the content that you want to sync to the iPad and to the iPhone. You do not have to sync your entire iTunes library to either device. I copied this from another discussion explaining how a user and his wife can share an iTunes library but still sync only the content that they want to sync to each device.

First turn off auto sync in iTunes. Launch iTunes on the Mac and go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices>Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from automatically syncing. Click OK and then quit iTunes.

Connect one of your devices to the Mac and launch iTunes.
Click on the device name on the left side under the devices heading.
Click on a tab in iTunes - Apps for instance.
Click on the Apps that you want to sync to that device.
Make sure that the Sync Apps heading is checked.
Follow the same procedure for all of the other tabs in iTunes ..... Music, Photos, Movies and so on.
After you have finished making all of your selections, click on Apply in the lower right corner of iTunes.

When you are done, eject the first device and do the same thing with the other device. iTunes will now remember the sync configuration on each device.

You can change that configuration any time that you like by following the steps outlined above.

If you want to continue to auto sync, turn it back on in the iTunes preferences as described above.

Something like this should work for you as well.
The new iPad, iOS 5.1, 64GB WiFi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.