iTunes syncing help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chargit, Mar 5, 2010.

1. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok I can put a iPhone together with my eyes closed but when you are talking about jailbreaking and syncing I havent done much of it so I need some help.

I have a 3Gs 16gb 3.1.3 NOT jailbroke or unlocked. I didnt see the need before so I updated it and now I want to tether with my pc. backed it up before I sent it in to Apple for warrany work.

transferred my info to a 3G 8gb that was 3.1.2, it is jailbroke. when I transfered my info from my 3gs it changed my 3g to 3.1.3 (but it did not updated the firmware through iTunes cause I was watching for it) but anyway the 3g is still jailbroke.

got my new 3gs from Apple today and want to syn my old info plus maybe some new info from the 3g over the last several days and put it all on my 3gs.

I really only need my contacts, my text messages, and apps if I can but I can manually download the apps again if need be but I have 100's of contacts for both of my business.

so, how can I do this without it updating my new 3gs to 3.1.3? I really dont want to do it manually!!!!

2. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

??

I cant believe some of you smart people dont have a solution for me....:(

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could sync the contacts and apps over, as long as you synced the contacts to the appropriate software (Outlook or Address Book) using the 3G. Texts you may be able to transfer if jailbroke.

4. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok now we are talking...I knew someone had an answer. now I don't normally sync with outlook cause of different contacts but I can make an exception. :D
    how can I get the apps? if I set up the new phone with the same name will that work? I was told if I restore my new phone with the old backup that it will automatically upgrade to 3.1.3. I am on the right path??

Thanks

5. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

Syncing with Outlook

Ok, now another issue. the only contacts that sync from my iPhone to Outlook have email addresses. if I dont have an email address for the contact in my iPhone it wont sync. what am I doing wrong?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You just click on the Apps Tab in the middle pane when you have your iPhone hooked up.

I have no idea, since it should've synced fine. Almost none of my contacts have email addresses. Try syncing again, and if it asks to merge, merge.

7. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

it is syncing the outlook to the iPhone not iPhone to outlook

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Read what you wrote above, since that's not what you said. What Outlook version on your PC? Have you lost any contacts? Did it just add the Outlook contacts to the iPhone and now you have more contacts on the iPhone?

9. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

read what I wrote above?? not sure what you mean. I got tons of new contacts on my iPhone. even contacts that are not currently in my contacts list in outlook. but, the only contacts that went from my iphone to outlook were the ones with email addresses. if it was a contact on my iphone with just a phone number it did not go to outlook.

outlook version 2003

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hmmm....the only thing I can think of is you don't have the iTunes plugin.

On the Tools menu in Outlook, click Options, and then click the Other tab.

Click Advanced Options, and then click COM Add-Ins.

Do any of the following:
    To enable an add-in, select the check box next to the add-in.
    If the COM add-in you want is not listed, you need to add it to the Add-ins available list. Click Add, click the add-in (.exe or .dll file) you want, and then click OK.

That's what the Outlook help says. I'm on Safari now, but I also have Windows and had it working on there with the plugin.

Oh, and you need to use Outlook w/o email, since that's why you're getting all these email accounts. I have Hotmail on the Outlook for my PC and don't have any Hotmail contacts.

11. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok got to the point where you click ad...there is nothing to chose from. what (.exe or .dll file) file are you referring to. but it does have a file checked already before you hit ad that says )itunes outlook addin

also, how do I get outlook w/o email? I have never seen this. is it an option in my current outlook or something different?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Like I said, that was from the help. You probably have to download from the Apple or MS site. At any rate, you already have the plugin, so as long as it's checked you're fine.

I might have used the wrong words, "without email." First, when you click on Contacts on the left in Outlook, what does it show?

13. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

click on contacts on the left? not sure where you mean

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Where the red arrow points:

outlooklarge2.gif

15. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok most of my contacts from my iphone are there. not all have numbers though.

16. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

so when I sync my new 3gs it should pick up all of those contacts. do I need to name my phone something else so when I do a sync it wont pic up the new 3.1.3?

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is painful. :) What do you mean, most? The should all be there. What about all these contacts that had email addresses?

Yes, it should. You need to do nothing.

But explain what your contacts are in detail for Outlook. I'm still trying to figure out what these contacts with emails came from. Also, if you sync this with your 3G, it will be what gets put on the iPhone.

18. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

my contacts out of my iPhone where in Outlook but some just had the name of the contact and no info. I just put all the info in on Outlook so I think this will cure that issue.

previously when I would sync my iPhone with Outlook only the contacts in my address book would sync. and they did not have any phone numbers. they were just my email contacts. is there a way to just sync my phone contacts out of Outlook with my iPhone or is it all or nothing?

by the way before I forget you have been a BIG HELP!! thanks a bunch! :D

19. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

I am now trying to set up my new phone. should I set up as one previously synced with my computer or set up as new?

I dont want to get burned and have it update to 3.1.3. that is the real reason for all of this hassle today!

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Thanks.

That's what I don't understand my "Address Book" does not sync and I don't know why yours does. Just to make sure you're using Outlook and not Outlook Express, correct? Anyway, the only contacts that should sync are the ones from your Contacts.

Going to be leaving for awhile, so if you need further help, someone will have to step in or you'll have to wait.

21. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

I am using Outlook. I set it up as a new phone not one I had previously synced. it allowed me the option in the beginning to sync my contacts, or email contacts and I chose just my contacts. but it did duplicated several contacts when it put them on my phone. it also put my apps on my new phone. it did not put any web shortcuts that I had on there even though they showed up in iTunes. it did not sync any text messages but it did get my voice mail. it also did not sync the notes I had made. but the main thing I wanted to accomplish was the contacts since I have tons of them and that worked. the rest of the stuff I can tweak by hand!! Im a happy guy!!

Thanks Aggie!

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No problem.

Texts unfortunately (IDKY Apple hasn't set something unto do this) don't have anything they can sync to. Texts go to the backup, which you couldn't use.

The bookmarks should've synced if you had them in Safari. That's the only thing you can sync bookmarks from.