iTunes syncronisation with iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcaccount, Sep 10, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I have just moved from PC to rMBP and I have ported all my photos to iPhoto.

I used to synchronize the PC photo library with my iPad via iTunes.

If I synchronize now the newly created iPhoto library of the rMBP with iPad always via iTunes, what's happening?

Will the previously synchronized photos, be erased from iPad and replaced by the iPhoto gallery of just merged?

I am afraid to make a mess. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks a lot, Daniele

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It works very much the same way in iTunes on Mac. The biggest difference is that, instead of selecting Folders to sync from your Windows Pictures folder, you would select Albums to sync from iPhoto. What's deleted and what's kept on the iPad when you sync works the same way on Mac as it does on Windows.

First, I recommend that you create an Album or Albums in iPhoto that contain the photos you want to sync to the iPad. This makes it easy in the future to change what you have on the iPad (like creating playlists for iTunes songs). (If you haven't already, I recommend you read the iPhoto help documents to understand how Albums work in iPhoto).

Of course, if you want to sync all photos, albums, Events, and Faces from iPhoto to the iPad, you can ignore that last paragraph.)

In iTunes > Photos sync settings, select iPhoto as the sync source.
    Select the option you desire: Sync all photos, etc., or sync only selected albums, Events, and Faces.

When you connect an iPhone/iPad/iPad Touch to the computer to sync, iPhoto will also open, and iPhoto will give you Import options for the photos that are in the Camera Roll.

This article at the Apple web site has more details on all of this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

3. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I have one doubt. Is there any risk that the sync will cancel photos from iPhoto library on the MAC or will it just add to iPad the photos that are not on the idevice yet?

Thanks for helping, Daniele