Itunes syncs my apps and deletes upgrades I've paid for?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kat chocolat, Aug 24, 2010.

1. kat chocolat macrumors newbie

I connected my iphone 3gs to recently updated version of itunes today. Have about a dozen or so apps which it then, without warning, sync-d to my pc. Fine. But of course its taken the apps off my phone and put them onto my pc. So I put them back onto my phone, and now not only have I lost all data in my apps (i.e. financial info, save point in games etc) I have lost the upgrades I had paid for. So for example the 'talking tom cat' app, my kids favourite, I'd downloaded for free then paid 59p to upgrade to full version - but now I am back to the basic 'free' version after all this sync-ing.

So - what is the "right" way to back up apps? I read somewhere that you do loose the data but can't you back up without taking them off the phone?

Also - is there any way to get back the 'upgraded' version of the tom cat app? (its not about the 59p, but next time it could be ££s).

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

if you redownload your paid apps, you will not get charged again, you should have a receipt of that when you paid for that app, you can use that to dispute if you try to redownload and they charge you. Aren't the apps you paid for not in your itunes?

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you know I found an alternitive to iTunes and posted it in the iPhone section last week and I got hammered from people saying there was nothing wrong with iTunes there the best etc.....

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

If you go to the app in question, click download, enter your password, etc. It will give you a message saying you've already paid for it, do you want to download it again. Just hit ok. Once paid for, always paid for.

5. sneth macrumors newbie

sorry to necro this thread, but this just happened to me as well.
    lost all my games saved states.

I'm sorry, but Angry birds is not really that much fun to play through again.

I didn't realize "Backup" meant copy off the phone.

6. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Do a restore from backup in iTunes (if you have a current one). This will restore App data. App data is stored in your backups.