iTunes syndication.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StephenCampbell, Sep 1, 2010.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I have a question about the Friends TV show in terms of how it appears on iTunes. I notice that the first three seasons have episodes that are all right around 22 minutes, but starting at season 4 the episodes vary in length, sometimes even close to 30 minutes. My understanding is that the DVDs have longer episodes and that a strictly 22 minute episode means that that's the syndicated version and is missing footage that was in the original airing on NBC. Is that correct? If so, why would Apple only give us the full episodes starting at season 4?

Thanks.

edit: Actually, it appears only seasons 4, 9 and 10 have episodes that average longer than 22 minutes. Why would apple not get the DVD versions of the episodes for all the seasons?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use IMDb to check the runtime of each original episode. The 22 minute (give or take) length is correct, with nothing deleted.

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

But on the DVDs they say "with never before seen footage" and even season 1 and 2 for example, have episodes around 24 or 25 minutes. Even if 22 minutes was the original airtime, why didn't apple get the full DVD versions? And why are seasons 4,
    9 and 10 longer in spite of being the supposed original airing length. Did they suddenly have 35 minute time slots instead of 30 when those seasons happened? There is great variation in episode length among those three seasons, as though they are like the extended DVD versions.