ITunes Tagging of TV Shows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Purpdust, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Purpdust macrumors member

First off, Nice Forum.

I have read a bit of threads of people showing what their Library Looks like etc. But have not found the "Key" or Dictionary for Tagging.

I have noticed what I have bee doing is somewhat wrong (Not Completeing the Info Tab at all and putting the Episode ID as Episode Name etc.) and I want to make it better and complete my Tagging Sega. [I will be using Either MetaX ot Itunes for the Tagging on a MPB using ATV for Viewing]

For TV Shows,
    Title = Episode Title
    Artist = Show
    Album = Show Season
    Album Artist = Show

Does someone have a list, most are simple but some are not so strait forward. Well atleast to me :rolleyes:

Thanks you for youe help.
    Purp

2. Purpdust thread starter macrumors member

No One??

Can someone Post Screen Shots of the INFO - VIDEO - ADVANCED tabs from MetaX that has the Tagging Complete for A TV Show.

TIA

3. Purpdust thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone use IDentify as a Pre MetaX/Lostify Tool to get started?

4. hagar macrumors 6502

I have used these tools a lot. You must remember that there are two approaches:

- tagging your media files themselves: Using MetaX and the other tools you describe you are able to tag MP4 files. iTunes will correctly show the tags you provide. This is a nice approach, but unfortunately only works with MP4 videos. If you have others, you need to reconvert them, or do the following;

- tagging the iTunes library: other video formats can also be put in iTunes (with a bit more effort) but they cannot hold all tag information (as they were not designed for it). In that case, the metadata information will be stored in the iTunes library itself. VideoDrive uses this technique. The advantage is that it works for all video formats available.

In the end, both approaches will be transparent for you. You will not know where the metadata is stored, unless you remove the file from the iTunes library.

Just use the tools you like, and the information will show up in iTunes in the appropriate fields. As you will see, iTunes was intended for music, and the video part was added later. That's why the fields may seem a bit strange.

5. meulemaster macrumors member

Videodrive - what am I doing wrong?

Ola Hagar,

downloaded the videodrive trial version and have been experiencing some difficulties, I do like the idea behind it but I think that the program needs a lot of work in order to function properly:
    -album art was not found, when I pressed search again it came up with a very low quality
    -little information was filled into the description boxes
    -one of the files was in my itunes but when I tried to open it it became some how to use quicktime movie.

Could you please mail me some screenshots of your settings or post them in the thread bc that would really help me and I am sure a lot of other people out as well!

hope to hear from you!!! cheers

6. malcg macrumors newbie

malcg

iTunes Tagging of TV Shows

Hi

For me it works like this (on iTUNES):-

On info page all I fill in is the "Name" (Episode Name) and the "Genre" the main area is the Video Page:-
    Show: StarTrek Enterprise
    Season Number: 1
    Episode ID: Broken Bow
    Episode Number: 1
    Description: ...........

Making sure TV show is selected on the options page.

Hope this helps, it shows on the AppleTV in Episode number order in Seasons (reverse order of course).

Regards
    Malcolm

7. hagar macrumors 6502

The previews are of low quality but once they are added to iTunes they look great. They are not high-definition as they appear to come from amazon.
    I suppose this depends on the video title. If there is no information online some fields may be blank. I suppose you could try again with a well known movie title, and see how it works.
    The videos are indeed added as QuickTime movies, but you can play them right from within iTunes and Front Row
    I use the default settings.

Do you want to put your videos in AppleTV?