Itunes, Thunderbolt, External Harddrive Question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kaneda21, May 5, 2011.

1. kaneda21 macrumors newbie

I currently have a windows computer with 3000 gigs of harddrive space (2 1.5 terrabyte hdd). Anyways, I currently keep all my mp3's and movies on the drive that doesn't have the operating system.

I am considering switching to an Imac computer and was wondering if it is possible to set up my system where when I purchase music off of itunes it saves the files on an external hard drive that would be using the thunderbolt technology.

Or am I stuck having the files download into an "itunes" folder on the "imac" itself.

Basically, I'm lazy and don't want to have to back up or move files around unnecessarily if I can set up Itunes.

Right now I only use Itunes to update os on my ipod touch.

2. giles12 macrumors newbie

Itunes thunderbolt

You can do this... by making the Itunes Music Folder in you Ext. Drive... by creating a new library on the ext. drive... by holding down option and you should get a window that ask you to create or choose a library... and pick the create new lib. on your ext. drive but if the ext. drive is disconnected or not present it will ask you to choose or create a new library... hope this can help