iTunes to external - using previous iTunes folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Mar 4, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I have my itunes folder backed up from my iMac to my external HD. The whole "Music" folder was copied. I am trying to use that library on the external the main library since my iMac is gone. I have no music files on the Macbook (only had 20, deleted them), so I'm just trying to redirect iTunes to look at, and show the iTunes library in the iTunes music folder that I have backed up on the HD.

Ideally, I want it to copy over anything new I drag into it going forward so that everything's on the external. So I've read numerous articles on how to do what should be a simple task and it has proved anything but. I went into prefs. and changed the location of the iTunes library to the external folder of 'iTunes Music.' Then it pops up and says "do you want iTunes to rename the files in keeping with your "keep folders organized selection"? So I say yes, even though everything is already organized.

So it's not showing up yet, I restart iTunes, nothing. So I hit file, library, organize library. Then I hit consolidate files and "upgrade to itunes organization." Nothing. I restart iTunes, nothing. What is going on? I would like to be able to keep it updated on the external, and would like to do this with iPhoto as well. I know it's possible, but once again, it seems Apple is trying to make something that should be easy more difficult than it needs to be.

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Just because you redirected your library there doesn't mean the music will automatically show up. Clear the library and re-import from the hard drive.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.

Should I just change the path to where the iTunes music folder is (on my external with all my music)..and then hit file/add to library?

Is there anything else to do - what about the database file? I had read something about that somewhere.