Itunes to iPhone Syncing Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcbkk, Sep 21, 2008.

1. marcbkk macrumors member

I just had to reinstall windows on my PC last week, which means I also had to put in a fresh install of iTunes again.

What is currently on my iPhone had been uploaded with my previous install of iTunes and I am about to connect my iPhone to the new install of iTunes. I recall from past experience that it will want to erase all music, video, and pictures from the phone and start it again fresh if what is on the phone does not match what is in the iTunes library currently.

I don’t mind this as I have all the movies, pictures, and music that were on the iPhone already backed up on a separate hard drive and can reinstall it all very easily.

But the issue is I had big problems before with iTunes messing up my contacts in Outlook and eventually l spent a lot of time hand loading all my contacts into the iPhone and no longer had it syncing with Outlook.

At this point I don’t want iTunes to touch my contacts on the phone and remove any of them and my question is if I don’t set my new installation of iTunes to sync with the contacts will it also erase all of my contacts when I connect my iPhone to this fresh install of iTunes for the first time?

Many thanks,

Marc

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Probably not. It will remove all the data on the phone.