iTunes to iTunes from mac to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Apr 28, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

My buddy just purchased a brand new MacBook Air and received it with iTunes 8. I have iTunes 9 and we are in Iraq. We can't get the updates due to lack of consistent internet so I was going to transfer my iTunes file to his Mac. Is this possible? Will it transfer my songs or account information?

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

What you are asking is illegal. You should not be copying music between you and your friend.

I could understand if it were only a few songs but it sounds like you are trying to copy the entire library as you are asking about iTunes version compatibility.

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess my writing opened up a big misunderstanding. I don't want to share my music or videos. He just can't download iTunes 9.1 to sync his freshly bought iPod Touch. I have downloaded iTunes 9.1 before coming out to Iraq and I didn't know if I could give him the updated version since he has iTunes 8. I just want to upgrade his Application not his music or video library. Does that make sense?

4. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Ah... I misunderstood. I'm very sorry.

I don't think you can just drag and drop iTunes like some other applications as it is installed using an installer.

Do you have an internet cafe near you with a better connection? You could download the installer and then copy it back over to your computer.

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

there is an internet cafe but it's just as slow as the internet you have to pay for to use. I tried downloading it on his and my comp last night (separate times) and it kept canceling after 100 mb's due to an inconsistent internet connection. So I am guessing we will have to wait until we had back to the states in Sept. Long ways to go...

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

If you have the original dmg file you can drag that to his mac and he can install from there.

If you have trashed it then it won't work.

Check your hard drive for itunes 9 dmg.

And people please read posts about what people want to do without mindlessly repeating the mindless mantra of the record labels that it's illegal to do that.

They have us so conditioned that we just blurt it out without thinking.