Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neocell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Appleinsider has a post of iTunes supporting videocasting Video cast which got me thinking why not just sell movies through iTunes. Then a little while later another post regarding Apple foraying into home media control Apple Remote (kind of goes with the whole idea). Then this from Yahoo (Freeman-Intel) to solidify the whole thing. Maybe the video updates in iTunes has been specifically for going this route. Think about the similarities here.

A couple of years ago the recording industry was complaining about digital media (downloading mp3s) being the end of the industry. Then iTunes comes along and low and behold money, money, money.

Present. Movie industry complaining downloaded movies, pirated copies hurting their bottom line, will be the end of the industry. See the similarities. Why not enable video sales through iTunes. The similarities are quite striking and Apple has a heck of a lot of the setup all ready done. If they don't do it, it appears someone else soon will.

Will this happen? Opinions?

$ 0.99 - 2 day rental
$ 4.99 - buy

tobio

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
London
The more i think about it, the more i would like to see this happen. If/when such a service is launched, I think they would have to give away a few free movies to get people used to the concept of movies in iTunes. A parallel I could draw is with the Playstation Portable and its UMD movies. When I heard they were making films on UMDs, I thought "who in their right mind would want one of those, let alone pay actual money for one?" The US release of the PSP sees it bundled with Spiderman2 movie, and I am sure that similar bundles will follow for its european launch. This is an invaluble tool for getting people used to the format.

Once people get used to the whole concept and format of the thing I can only see it becoming as popular as iTunes music store. Before iTunes music store, people rampantly downloaded mp3s for free on p2p networks, now people still rampantly download mp3s for free on p2p networks, but also use legal services despite the restrictions that are imposed on the files. Nowadays people do rampantly download films and tv shows for free. If there was a workable, affordable and high profile alternative, dare I say it, even I might be tempted to buy some movies from iTunes if the price was right, and I could easily watch them on the TV.

lajocaab

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
TX
iMedia = iVideo + iTunes Music Store

The technology is available to provide consumers with a product like "iSlate". Of course only Apple could really do it right, although several other companies are attempting to create some variation of this device. Unfortunately many are too focused on video playback only, & not creating a true multi-function device that could be used at home, at the office, or on the road. This product would integrate well into the "Digital Lifestyle" philosophy & compliment existing Apple products.

It would provide a screen large enough to actually watch video & view photos, while still being small enough to be portable. It needs to be smaller than a notebook computer, but larger than a PDA. Granted, you can not put a device the size of a DVD case in your pocket, but something doesn't have to fit in a pocket to be portable. This device could be used in so many different situations that it would have broad appeal in the market. I only pray that Apple is working on such a device & will release it in 2004. They have an opportunity to impact the industry with the iSlate & iVideo media Store as much as the iPod & iTMS will.

iSlate

New Apple mini-tablet –> PMA (portable media appliance)

Designed not to be a creative device like a desktop or laptop, but rather a sophisticated display device that communicates seamlessly with other devices via Rendezvous & 802.11, BT, GPRS, FireWire, etc.

Device Size:
8” x 5.0” x .65” (±15oz)
± 1/2 size of a 17” PowerBook
± 2x size of a Palm T5 or an iPod
± size of a DVD movie case
small enough to hold with one hand by the bezel (.5” bezel on the sides)

Screen:
±8” LCD (16:9 ratio) -> 800 x 480 pixels minimum (1024 x 600 ideally)
± 1/2 size of 17” PowerBook screen
± 2x size of a Palm T5 screen
able to display “640 x 480 material” & DVD (720x480) quality video natively

Battery:
6-9 hour Li-Ion battery (or some new battery technology)

Storage:
1.8” 40GB or 60GB hard drive (additional capacity can come from external devices)
256MB or 512MB RAM - fixed
SD slot (w/ adapter for xD & Smart Media)

Processor & OS ?:
Motorola 800 MHz G4 mobile w/ Mac OS X lite or
Intel 500 MHz XScale PXA27x w/ Mac OS Mobile?

Connectivity:
802.11 –> Desktop or Laptop, Stereo, Internet via Wi-Fi hotspots
Bluetooth –> Keyboard, Mouse, PDA, Wireless Headphones, Internet via GSM Phone
FireWire –> iPod, Computer, Hard Drive, DVD/CD writer, Video Camera, iSight
USB 2.0 –> Printer, PDA, Digital Still Camera
mini-DVI w/adapter for:
-> ADC & VGA for larger monitor
-> DVI for video projector or HDTV
-> S-Video for video projector or TV
-> Composite for video projector or TV
Stereo mini out
Stereo mini in
Rendezvous for seamless connectivity to other devices

Input:
Inkwell via touch screen &/or stylus
Keyboard & mouse via Bluetooth or USB
Microphone
Remote control via Bluetooth

Applications:
inkwell, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, Safari, QuickTime, iSync, Rendezvous
Preview, Mail, iCal, Address Book, Sherlock, iChat AV
Keynote, FileMaker, Quicken, etc.

A/V Formats:
Pixlet, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, Audible, JPEG, TIFF, GIF

Accessories:
Charger, External Battery, Stand, clip for iSight, Portable folding BT keyboard, BT mouse
Headphone w/Microphone boom, quality stereo headphones

Price ??:
$699 to $999

Create a device that is bigger that the largest PDA or Archos type device, yet smaller than the average notebook or tablet computer. Imagine if you will, holding a device (about the size of a DVD case) away from you anywhere from 12" to 18". Obviously a 4" screen would be inadequate, but a 7" to 9" diagonal widescreen would be more than acceptable. It could still be small enough to fit in a stack of books, a briefcase, a large purse, of any number of other carrying cases. It would be something that could be viewed in an office, at home, in a coffee shop, on an airplane or train, or even in the backseat of a car.

The idea is not to see how much visual information one can cram into a small space (3" to 4" screens) or replace existing devices like the TV or Video Projector. The idea is to create a device that is a reasonable compromise between portability & "acceptable or pleasurable" viewing for multiple applications & that also complements existing devices.

Although a 4 lb, 12" notebook computer displays video beautifully (I use one everyday), it is too big for the situations I have described. Beyond the innumerable business applications it could fulfill, it could display video & photos on a screen that is much bigger than an Archos type device or PDA, & yet smaller than a notebook computer. It doesn’t need to carry everything all the time, so it doesn’t require a massive hard drive. The internal HD needs only to be large enough for the OS, applications & enough storage to carry material while you away from any connectivity to other devices or the internet.

From a strictly “video perspective”, a large part of its success would hinge upon Apple's ability to distribute video clips through an online store much like iTMS. This store could provide educational content, business content, news content, & entertainment content beyond just movies. To be truly successful, it must integrate into Apple's "Digital Lifestyle" strategy, & be truly portable (ubiquitous wireless connectivity & good battery life).

Originally Posted by: lajocaab on Feb 11, 04 | 11:05 pm

Attachments

• apple_ipad_full_2.jpg
    apple_ipad_full_2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.