iTunes to new computer question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brn2rnjk1, Aug 18, 2012.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

I have searched this and found a method, but wanted to see if there is an easier way. We have a new Mac and want to transfer iTunes, including playlists to our new Mac from the old. We are connected to a home network, so easy to see the old computer (or new) on the other. However, trying to not just copy the music, but also have the playlists move. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks.

2. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I saw this article, but it seemed a bit complicated for copying the playlists also. Was hoping there was a way to just copy from one computer to the other a file or 2 and then it would have a mirror image on the new one that would include all of the music and all of the playlists?

3. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

If you want to move your playlists, you have to move everything. There is no workaround for that. But it is really not that complicated.

If you know where your iTunes folder is on the original Mac, you just need to copy that iTunes folder to an external hard drive and then copy it from the external hard drive to the Music folder on your new Mac.

4. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Why do I need an external drive? Can I copy the iTunes from the old Mac to the new Mac if they are both on the same network? If not, not a biggie, we will use an external HD.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can copy them via your wireless network. Depending on how big your library is and how fast your network is, using an external drive may be faster.