itunes to receiver wirelessly...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by birdflusurvivor, Feb 25, 2012.

1. birdflusurvivor macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I'm looking to devise a means of streaming music wirelessly from my mac to a receiver. I need a new receiver, one that will work with a pair of 901s. I want to use an optical connection, or something comparable. I know one option is to use Airplay. However, I'm not sure if I can do this. Here's why: I am on one wireless network, for internet, and I don't know how to connect to one Airplay for internet access and another to send music to my speakers. I've also heard that AppleTV is an option. Can I use AppleTV without a television? It seems to cost only a bit more than Airplay but seems much better. But I don't have a TV.

So, what I'm looking for:
    1. Suggestions about an affordable receiver that will work with Bose 901s that has an optical connection (if used with airplay), or has an HDMI (for use with AppleTV).
    2. Information about Airplay/AppleTV, and ways in which these might allow me to stream wirelessly.

I'm not looking for snarky comments about my speakers.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
    LS

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

some Amps now (mostly from Marantz I think) have Air play built in now, or you could just get an Airport Express, you can set it up so it joins your current wired/ wireless network and play music to it just by connecting to your norma WiFi you use for internet (you can also set it up as a stand alone wireless device)

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If you are definitely not going to be adding a Television to your stereo setup, then you'd probably be better of going with an AirPort Express. (Hold off for a few days, as there are rumors about a refresh of both the AppleTV and the Airport Express coming next month.)

The AirPort Express works very well for streaming music from iTunes (on a Mac, PC, iPod, iPhone, etc.) The only downsides to it, compared to the AppleTV, is that the output from it is via a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable, rather than the Optical cable you can use on AppleTV. And, of course, you don't get video output showing the song title, album art, etc. But since you aren't planning on putting a TV there, no big loss.

If you have an iOS device, you can download the (free) Remote App, that allows you to control iTunes music on the computer where your iTunes library is stored. The Remote App shows album art, song title, etc. You can also wireless stream any music you have on your iOS device directly to the Airport Express, without involving the iTunes collection on your computer.

Should you later decide to switch to an AppleTV, you can still use the Airport Express to provide music to some other part of your house. I currently have one hooked up to an old boom box in my garage, so I can stream music or podcasts while I'm cleaning out my car or doing other such tasks.

4. PAPO macrumors 6502

actually you can get optical out of an Airport Express, you just need a 3.5mm optical adaptor

also I didn't see the rumours about the Express, just the TV

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Airport Express is the simplest way to go. It has a combo jack that does both 3.5mm line out and optical so you get to pick. Cost about $70. These will work with itunes and any airport router you have and also the "express" can act as a printer server

Did somebody give you the Bose speakers? Can't understand why else anyone would have those.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

As for receivers, just visit Best Buy or use Google, tons of inexpensive options that handle HDMI and optical feeds.

For the streaming, Apple TV and Apple Express cost the same. So you need to decide what features are more important to you. Both will support your streaming needs from iTunes and give you digital connection to your receiver.

ATV will give you video capability if you decide to want that in the future. The Express give you routing, network expansion and print sharing capabilities if you should want to take advantage of such features.

I use an Express to feed my home speakers throughout the house. The receiver is in a storage room with my network components. So i will never need video capability in there but the networking features of the Express come in handy as part of the infrastructure.

7. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I'd suggest just getting an Apple TV. It's not that much more money and offers much more flexibility down the line. I have both and they work just fine.

I like Onkyo receivers. I have an 8255 that I love paired with some Paradigm bookshelf speakers (can't go wrong with Paradigms in my world). I don't care about surround sound and subwoofers, etc., I'm just looking for the best sounding stereo setup I can find for the best possible price. The 8255 was that for me, but it unfortunately does not have optical inputs.

You could look at the TX-8050, which goes for around 260 at Amazon and has optical inputs. I like how they sound (relatively invisible), but you're going to want to either review the frequency response graphs for your speakers and the receiver and make sure it matches up well with the Bose or just try it out somehow (remembering that there might be a breaking in period for your amplifier).