Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISJB

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Hey guys, I don't really know where to ask this, but...

I'm trying to pass a playlist from my iTunes to an SD Card to play it in my car, however it seems that for some reason, some of the songs won't play correctly. But the format of the songs isn't the problem, they're all mp3s, and some will play and some won't. I don't understand.

When passing the songs from iTunes to the Card I've noticed that the first few have this 01, 02, 03, etc, in front of them. Those are the ones that don't work. Why do they have this and how do I change it? Also, all of the songs end up with a 1 at the end. So, for example, I will pass a file named "Hope," and it'll come up as "01 Hope 1" (without the quotation marks, of course).

To pass the songs, I simply select them all and drag them. Any ideas?

All the files work perfectly fine in my computer; they just won't play in my car...

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
the 01 etc on the front just means they are ordered tracks (eg Track 1, Track 2), i presume ripped from an album, the 1 on the end means there is (or was at the point the track was added) a copy of the song with that same name already in the folder, so instead of overwriting it, it sticks a 1 on the end of the file name.

Neither of those things are likely to be why they won't play, although they do suggest the possibility that they were obtained from a different source to the other tracks and so were perhaps encoded differently.

In iTunes, pick two of the tracks, one that will play and one that won't, and use File > Get Info.., look under the Summary tab and see what it tells you about the encoding - eg, Kind, BitRate etc.

If you can post that data here that may give us some clues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.