iTunes to USB

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kezza1130, Aug 13, 2014.

1. kezza1130 macrumors newbie

I have moved all movies from my iPad to my iTunes account on my computer. I don’t want to store the movies though on my computer so is it possible to save them on a USB and then when wanting to watch them on the iPad, plug the USB in with an adapter cord? Does iTunes need to be downloaded onto the USB for this work?

2. AndreaTa macrumors regular

You go to "My Computer" and search the name of the video. Then you can copy to the USB.

3. kezza1130 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Andrea :) I do know how to put them on the usb I was more worried about how they work when I plug the USB into the iPad...does iTunes have to be on the USB?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can't plug a USB drive into an iPad.

There are a number of ways to keep movies on external drives, and transfer them to the iPad when you want to watch them. It's also possible to stream movies over wifi or the internet. Also, if you are willing to pay for more hardware, there are wifi USB drives that can be used with iPads. But the best option depends on exactly what you want to do.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

this depends on your definition of a movie

movies you downloaded off the internet and sync
    you can copy the movies to an external hard drive for safe keeping and then delete them from the iTunes library / iPad any video on an external hard disk you want to sync to an iPad has to be added to the iTunes library first. you can't connect any external drives directly to the iPad.

movies and tv shows you purchased from the iTunes store
    these are stored in iCloud. you can delete them all you want. you don't need to keep copies on iTunes or your iPad. trash them. whenever you want them back go to iTunes / app stores go to past purchases and redownload them

movies in iPhoto library
    i thought these could be saved/copied and read / write directly to the phones dcim folder ???

6. AndreaTa macrumors regular

I remember that iOS only read .mp4 files. Any files?