iTunes transfer from MacBook to MBPro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by challiman, Jun 17, 2009.

1. challiman macrumors member

I bought a MacBook in May and loaded maybe 50 songs in. Monday I returned it and exchanged it for the MacBook Pro, 13 inch. The Apple Store did the transferring of everything for me and all looked good, except today I tried to open iTunes and got the following message:The file 'Tunes Library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

So, will the problem be resolved if I connect the iPod Touch and they sync, or do I have a major problem? If I do have a problem, can it be fixed, and how?

Thanks in advance. So far everything else seems just fine. I would go back to the Apple Store but it is a 2 hour drive one way. If I can resolve this without a trip to the store I'd appreciate it. I do have Apple Care, which I can use if this is too complicated.

2. challiman thread starter macrumors member

Hasn't anyone else done this?

I was just sure I wasn't the only one who did an exchange. I find so much useful info here I was hoping it would be the same with this question. Guess I am just topping it so someone will see it!

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

So you had iTunes on the MB, and now you have an MBP, but can't open iTunes?

Did you update it to the latest version?

If all your songs and stuff are on the MBP, and you authorize the computer, it should be no problem to sync. If they properly transferred the library, it should sync as if it was on the original MacBook.

Maybe they went and created a new library on the MPB, then transferred all your songs over to that (which isn't the way I would do it). If they did that, then the ipod thinks it's an entirely new library -- but if the computer is authorized and all your music is there, there should be no problem to wipe the ipod and re-copy everything to sync it with the new library.

Just make sure the computer is authorized for your store content so it will not delete purchased tracks or apps.

4. challiman thread starter macrumors member

I didn't do the transferring, the Apple Store folks did that for me. Since the MBP is brand new and the iPod is only about a month old, I thought they were the latest versions. The method they used to transfer was (I think) a cable, that went from the USB port on the MB to the firewire port on the MBP. At least I think that's correct.
    Sorry, I have no clue how to authorize the computer, I'm new to Mac (or new again, started with them in the 90's, left, back again).
    I don't know if the tunes are on iTunes since it give the message and I can't get beyond that.
    How do you authorize the computer?
    Thanks for your quick response.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

oh iTunes won't even open? Strange. .

Did you try software update? Maybe for some reason the MBP has a previous version of iTunes. iTunes 8.2 i Think is the newest (at least on 10.4 Tiger)

To authorize, you need iTunes to be open, and it's in the "Store" Menu. (to authorize for iTunes store purchases). There is another option in "Advanced" menu that says "Authorize audible content" for purchased songs.

The menu's are in the task bar at the top when you open iTunes, where "file" "Edit" & "View" are.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

If you already have the latest version, and it's some weird glitch, than the applestore did something wrong, you can take it back to them, or you can try to rebuild the library to fix any corruption.

You'd have to go into /Music/iTunes/ and move the "iTunes Music" folder to the desktop temporarily (because that's where all the music files should be, assuming you had iTunes set to copy files to it's library when adding)

Either trash the rest of the files in the "iTunes" folder, or move them to a subfolder that you can call "other library" or something.

Open iTunes, and it should re-create a library. You'll see new library files appear in the "iTunes" folder. This library is blank, so you'll have to drag that "iTunes Music" folder you moved to the desktop into the iTunes window -- it should process the files and re-add them to the library. If it's set to copy when adding to library, it will make a copy of everything and place it back into it's own "iTunes Music" folder within the library (similar to the one you moved).

If it copied everything over, you can delete the folder off your desktop because they would just be duplicates.

the iTunes library should be brand new. Authorize the computer, plug in the iPod, and it should ask if you want to sync with this new library. If you select yes, it will probably delete everything off the ipod and re-sync it to the new library.