iTunes transfer from Windows Vista Ultimate to Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vergißmeinnicht, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Vergißmeinnicht macrumors newbie

Vergißmeinnicht

I was wondering, will I be able to transfer all of my iTunes Library to my Mac from my old Windows PC? I know the answer is basically "yes", but I think I've used my songs on at least two other PC's, so wouldn't that make it not work on my Mac? I would like for my Mac to be my new main computer, so I don't mind if it will no longer allow me to share songs with other computers, or whatever. Sorry if this is like an obvious answer, I've never migrated to a Mac before, and I can't wait! :D

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iTunes doesn't care how many systems you have the music on as long as you have only authorized 5 or less systems (Mac or PC) to play back the music. Apple's support knowledgebase has an article that provides several options on how to accomplish transfer of your library from one system to another. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329 applies specifically for using an iPod in disk mode, but the majority of the steps remain the same if you're using a FAT32 formatted external drive. There's also a link near the top which explains how to use the Backup to Disc feature that was introduced with iTunes 7 and also allows transfer between operating systems.