iTunes transfer help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SaMaster14, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SaMaster14, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, just got myself a new MBP for college (my 17" was about 4 years old... and I wasn't gonna take the 24" iMac to college...)

But, regardless, I transferred all of my actual music over from my old computer via a Time Machine Backup (backed up to an external harddrive, then dragged and dropped the 'music' folder onto iTunes on my new computer).

SO, thats all good... but is there any way to get my playlists back and make sure that when I plug in my iPod Touch and iPad it recognizes the new computer as the same iTunes library as the old one?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help I can get!

Edit:

Actually, if I just plug in my iPod, will it bring all of my playlists back and transfer them to my new computer as long as the music is there on the new comp's iTunes?

I just don't want to mess anything up...

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Plugging in your ipod will not bring the playlists into iTunes directly, instead, when asked if you want to sync it with your new computer, you'll remove them unless you've already got them imported into iTunes.

Since you have a TM backup, why don't you just use Migration Assistant? Alternately, you could just copy the iTunes library files from your old computer if you've already imported all your music, and that should restore your playlist data.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451 for more about the library files.

3. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Now I have everything perfect. The iTunes on my new computer is basically a mirror of the iTunes on my old MBP (all the files are there and everything).

But now what happens when I plug my iPod and iPad in to the new computer? Will it just sync normally and work like it was syncing to my old computer basically, since the iTunes are the same?

Thanks! (also, I have already registered/authorized the new computer's iTunes)

4. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any help here?

I was told that if I put my iPod into the new computer (even though its authorized) everything on my iPod will be deleted (or everything on my computer will be deleted).

Not sure what to do here...

5. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

If anything would be deleted than it would be your iPod. Honestly I don't think that would happen and if it were in danger of happening you will get a popup warning you that your actions will delete you ipod.

Edit: as well even if your iPod is deleted you have all of your original files on the computer, right?

6. Belmana macrumors newbie

I just recently transferred my iTunes library from my windows pc to my iMac and when I plugged in my iPad and iPhone they both synched as normal without losing anything off either the devices or the computer. I did have to change the settings for synching photos as they were in a different location on the iMac. All my music and playlists were kept intact.

7. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. sounds promising. I'll try the sync tonight.

Thanks!

8. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, now that you have your library and everything just like the previous one, when you sync it to the new computer it should remain exactly as before.