iTunes transfer problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Masters512, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Masters512 macrumors member

Masters512

I keep my itunes library on my external harddrive, but now i want to put it back on my macbooks harddrive. however, every time i am transferring it to my macbook, it stops after a while and tells me that the files already exist on my macbook even though i delete the itunes folder on my macbook before starting the transfer. sometimes it will do it with a certain song, but most of the time it says this (pic). help please?

Attached Files:

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Don't blindly copy your iTunes library folder. Allow iTunes do it for you.
    Every time I have tried this, I end up with iTunes missing the location of many of my files. Don't know how or why, becuase I know others have had success this way.

Choose a new Library folder in Preferences > Advanced and then ask iTunes to consolidate the library. It will place all the files in the newly chosen library.

Go here for more detail:

Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Windows: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364

3. Masters512 thread starter macrumors member

Masters512

there is no consolidate library command, i followed the instructions but... no consolidate library like it says :( . is it export library?

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

My computer has the consolidate library command, just like this says. Those above links are directly from Apple and are updated as things change. Follow it exactly and you should find the command.

So for Mac: "From the File menu, choose Library and then Consolidate Library... A message appears that says: "Consolidating your library will copy all of your music into the iTunes Music folder. This cannot be undone." "

and PC: "For iTunes 9:
    Choose File > Library > Organize Library
    For iTunes 8:
    Choose File > Library > Consolidate Library
    For iTunes 7 or earlier:
    Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library. "

Neither of these help you find the consolidation section?:confused:

I have a Consolidate option under File>Library in iTunes on my Mac.