Itunes transfer to a different computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoing, Sep 5, 2010.

1. hoing macrumors member

Is it possible to transfer my itunes library (apps + music) to a different computer? Cant seem to figure it out

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Not from OS X to Windows, or Vice Versa... But from OS X to OS X, just drag the iTunes folder from Music on the home folder of computer 1 to Music on the home folder of computer 2. Then, as you open iTunes, press the Alt key and when the dialog box pops up click on 'Choose Library' and navigate to HomeFolder>Music>iTunes and select 'iTunes Library'. Should work from thereon in.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, works fine the same way from PC to Mac (haven't tried the reverse). Just moving the entire iTunes folder, and telling iTunes to use that folder (if necessary) works fine.

jW

4. Melanotis macrumors newbie

Melanotis

I usually use the migration assistant when copying to another computer. I think the methods described above should be fine. But if you have any problems you could try that.

5. Russell L macrumors regular

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I didn't think that the libraries were multi-operating system. I can't open my OS X library in Windows 7. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not fully interoperable, but each version can read the other and convert. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20070424081346722 shares one iTunes library between Windows and Mac versions of iTunes, but rebuilds the library when you switch OS/client.

B

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Interesting, thanks for the link.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You'll notice I said that I didn't know if it worked that direction, but I know it will convert the opposite direction, as I have done it multiple times.

I think the rest of the question was already answered by balamw.

jW