iTunes TV Shows/Movies.... External HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Sep 17, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Is there anyway I can put my TV Shows and Movies on an External Harddrive or something? That still will work in front row?

And can I achieve all this while keeping all my music on my local Hard drive in my laptop?

2. rev316 macrumors regular

Put files on external; make sure iTunes doesn't copy it over... poof!

3. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Just put the entire iTunes Folder on the external and then tell iTunes that your iTunes folder is located on the external. You won't be able to use iTunes when your external is disconnected though.

4. evanrousso macrumors 6502

See I wish there was a way to have itunes point to my external for video and point to my local drive for music. I like to keep my music local.

5. neovo macrumors newbie

You actually can that easily. You don't have to change any setting actually. But you just need to create a reference movie for each of videos you want to put on the iTunes Library. So instead of adding the actual video files to iTunes Library, we just put the reference movie file, which is very small in size. Then the actual video files can be placed on the external drive.

I'm doing in such a way because I'm using laptop, which impossible to add all of video files to the internal drive.

6. evanrousso macrumors 6502

where do i find the reference file?

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I had this same problem and worked it out a few days ago... I'm assuming you have iTunes copy over your music files, yes?

Here's what you do:
    1. Add the movie to the library like normal and let it copy over.
    2. Copy the movie to wherever you want on your external drive
    3. Delete the movie in the iTunes folder and delete it from the Trash/Recycle Bin.
    4. Click on the movie in iTunes to play it and it will say it can't find it and ask you to locate it. Point it to the external drive and it will reference it there and not copy it over.

Not the easiest thing in the world, but a lot faster than any other solution I can think of.

8. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Easiest method: Copy movies and shows to external, drag to iTunes while holding Option. They will be added to itunes without being copied.

9. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Only thing with that is it won't work with newly downloaded files... They will still download to the original location on your internal drive, right?

Otherwise, that is a handy tip!

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

VERY handy. Thanks!