Itunes? uh oh.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicknicknickh, Jun 19, 2011.

1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

So I just got a Mac this week and I want to put all my tv shows, movies, music etc on my new mac. The only things on my mac are the things that are on my 8Gb Itouch which is not much. I have 117 Gbs of tv shows so transferring via ipod would take forever... Any ideas

Oh and the switch is from a pc to a mac.

2. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Copy the iTunes Media folder from MyDocuments/Music/iTunes to an External Hard Drive. Then drag the folder to your Mac iTunes library Folder in your home folder.

3. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

so explain step by step how I do that . I plug in the drive on my mac then what? ( explain with explicit detail I'm very new to macs )

Its currently copying to my harddrive

4. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

Also should I delete my itunes library on my mac so I dont have duplicate files on my mac?

5. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

1) Plug the drive to the Mac
    2) Go to your home folder. Then to Music/iTunes
    3) Drag the iTunes Media folder from your External Drive to your iTunes folder
    4) Confirm replacing the iTunes Media folder. If you want to save something that it isn't on the iTunes Media Folder you are dragging, copy it to another location before replacing Media folder.
    5) Wait for the process to complete.
    6) If the Drive is NTSC formated, you will need to connect it to the PC in order to delete the iTunes Media Folder. Otherwise (is FAT, exFat or FAT32) delete them from your Mac.

6. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so here is what I did: Plugged in the drive via usb and opened finder. Then saw "My Book" ( the externa; hardrive) then found my folder and dragged to the itunes application on my dock. Now it says 'adding files"

Did I do this correctly?

7. samh macrumors 6502

You didn't follow mrguidogenio's instructions (or what I would have suggested). But, what you did will lead to what you want accomplished--although probably a slower way to do it. In the end it doesn't really matter.