iTunes UK gets it's first HD TV show

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stuipdboy1000, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I have just noticed that the new season of Lost is available in HD on iTunes in the UK now. I wasn't able to spot anymore shows in HD but hopefully we should see them coming in the not too distant future.

2. Bentron macrumors 6502

Yeah i just noticed too! It's a good sign. Although I was really expecting it to be (when it happened) more of a sweeping change, i.e. many high-profile shows receiving HD treatment. But as I said, a good sign. Pricing is off the mark at 2.50, 60p more than standard.

3. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

expensive :-( wake me up when its £1.19 for HD and 89p for SD at least!

4. iann1982 macrumors regular

I think they're missing a real killer of Apple TV and the iTunes store by not having HD films to buy - does any one know the reasoning behind this? Surely they're coming?

5. Bentron macrumors 6502

Well on :apple:tv you can buy HD films, just not on your computer. Also I don't think you can get them on you computer in the US, and they're always ahead of us so it'll be a while yet... :(

6. wrkngclasshero macrumors regular

wrkngclasshero

You can't buy HD films on the apple tv. Only rent them. I am eagerly awaiting the day you can purchase them.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

HD? I don't think so. The video might be 1280x720 but it will be blocky as hell, as this chart will demonstrate:

[​IMG]

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

That chart doesn't demonstrate a single thing about video quality, and I hate when people keep reposting it. Where is it from? Gizmodo, I think.

There are so many options in h.264 encoding that a 2MB bit-rate can actually be of higher quality than a 4MB bit-rate with lesser options.

Also that chart doesn't tell you that h.264 is considered twice as efficient as mpeg2 thereby requiring half the bitrate.

9. voodoofish macrumors regular

I'm actually impressed with the video... why don't you download the free lost starter pack in HD and then you'd see it's not blocky, instead of just looking at a chart?