iTunes UK Movies and TV Soon?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hopefully BBC shows will be free, but I can't see Apple being all for that.

Already have an EyeTV but this could be cool.

cupique

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
What about subtitles?

Now that movies and series are coming to iTunes in Europe, what do you think happens in non english speaking countries? How are subtitles handled?

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise.

Plus, given the whole iplayer thing, there would be a complete uproar (given the fact it only works on windows - therefore meaning Mac users would effectively be seen to be paying a 'mac tax' to watch them).

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Interesting. I wonder if this is why the BBC are saying that there will be access to an iPlayer for Macs in September.
i thought they hadn't set a date :confused:

i've got the iPlayer on boot camp, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, methinks. needs a bit of work.

nebsta

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Australia
BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise.

Plus, given the whole iplayer thing, there would be a complete uproar (given the fact it only works on windows - therefore meaning Mac users would effectively be seen to be paying a 'mac tax' to watch them).
It costs money to watch BBC shows on BT Vision as they are provided by BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm).

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff

They can charge for shows, they charge for DVD's what's the difference?

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago

Already have an EyeTV but this could be cool.
Hard to say because some of the file sizes can be quite large, but Apple currently hosts a large number of free video and audio podcasts -- on the U.S. site anyway -- so I wouldn't rule it out.

Neerazan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
London, UK
BBC shows would have to be free, if they are offered at all. The licence fee prevents them charging for shows we would receive for free otherwise...
That's not exactly true, as the BBC does sell DVDs of it's shows on a commercial basis in the UK. iTunes Store is just another way of selling that content, so they can charge what they like.

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
It costs money to watch BBC shows on BT Vision as they are provided by BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm).
I haven't seen BT Vision, so not sure how it's set up, but are they old shows or current shows (i.e replays of whatever was on last night). I was almost certain the BBC couldn't charge for something we already pay for, and if they are, then it's bang out of order in my view.

They can charge for shows, they charge for DVD's what's the difference?
Well, thats different because you actually get a tangible product for your money.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That and Doctor Who and i'll be all set :)
This is what is confusing. Doctor Who DVDs contain 2-3 episodes and cost the same as any other DVD in the high street. Why would the BBC have them on iTunes for free?

What about channels that bought repeats of Who, like UKTV Gold (or whatever they're called), they've been airing not too old BBC shows. I can't imagine them being happy...

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
About time, but let's hope they do it right - a good selection and not just UK specific content. The iTunes store for music was initially very limited when started in the UK, and even now there is stuff I would like that's on the US site that isn't listed on the UK site.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
I haven't seen BT Vision, so not sure how it's set up, but are they old shows or current shows (i.e replays of whatever was on last night). I was almost certain the BBC couldn't charge for something we already pay for, and if they are, then it's bang out of order in my view.
I don't see why they can't charge for something. The iPlayer allows you to watch shows broadcast within the last 7 days. I would rather have the option of paying to own higher quality versions of that content to watch at my leisure and to view how I want to - ie on an iPod, apple TV or the iPhone (when it finally appears). Similarly I'd be happy to do this for some of their radio stuff too, and they could certainly make a lot of their back catalogue available for distribution in this manner. They recently took the Now Show podcast off its trial and when I emailed them about this I pointed out that I'd be happy to pay a small fee to have something like this to listen to at my convenience (currently it's on listen again but you have to be online and the quality is poorer than it was). The tone of their reply suggested that payment might not be out of the question.

The license fee as it stands does not include allowing the license payer to download digital content to use as they see fit and to therefore expect the BBC to provide shows for free is unreasonable (although that's not to say it would be unwelcome). I hope that they can get all the terrestrial broadcasters on board as none of their current solutions support the Mac.

ANTMUZ

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2005
UK
About time! I reckon other iTunes stores will also see an upgrade - HD all round! I'm sure the BBC could offer some shows for free, maybe they'll come up with an agreement with Apple to use its DRM if the BBC hosts the shows on their servers - a bit like the way podcasts work currently.

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
and they could certainly make a lot of their back catalogue available for distribution in this manner.
I agree that this would be worthwhile and I'd likely be prepared to pay for some of that content.

Having looked in to this a little more, it does seem I was wrong regarding the restrictions on the licence - my apologies.

I do feel however that we should have an 'opt out' on the licence fee now - i.e if you download or use iptv instead of terrestrial, you shouldn't have to pay the licence fee. However, thats probably a discussion for another thread.